4 days ago I had my 5 month old puppy spayed and they removed her back dew claws at the same time. She pulled out the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 4 days ago I had my 5 month old puppy spayed and they removed her back dew claws at the same time. She pulled out the original non stick pad by day 2. So I wrapped it again without a pad. Now after removing the bandage it looks like she has an open wound to the side of her stiches and she has black coloration on the other side. I feel like the open wound was due to removing the bandage without having the pad there. I've put neosporin on the area and wrapped it with a non stick pad in place but I am concerned that something serious might be going on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the puppy bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: No active bleeding and no swelling. When the bandage was removed this morning without the pad it was stuck to her skin and when I pulled it off it's like it took the scab with her and started to bleed a little
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Nala
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: That's everything
Answered by DocFes in 25 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
DocFes
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, my name is***** and I am going to help you with your question. Lets start with your name and your pet's name. Thank you

Customer
My name is ***** ***** my dogs name is Nala

How can I hlpe wioth Nala/

Customer
4 days ago she had her back dew claws removed. By day 2 she pulled the non stick pad out and so I wrapped it without a pad. This morning when I removed the bandage some of it was stuck to her and pulled off her skin so she has an open wound. It bleed for a little no active bleeding now but it's also black around the stitches. I applied neosporin to the site, applied a nonstick pad in between and bandaged it up again, but it just looks pretty ugly
Customer
Customer attachment 7/22/2020 5:57:58 AM

Alright. That does look a bit raw. Is she been locking at it?

Customer
We are constantly pushing her head away and she is wearing a cone but her nose still sticks out so it's not doing any good.

You need to take her back to the vet, get a new cone and the vet will restitch the wound.

Customer
Okay. Should there be any concern with the coloration to the right of the stitches? It makes me uneasy with how black it is

It looks fine to me. It do not look like a wound breakdown to me. Licking is detrimental for wound repair. We need to make sure that di not happen again.

Customer
Okay thank you so much for all your help. I greatly appreciate it

You are welcome. Anything else I can help you with?

Customer
No that is everything

Please accept my answer and leave me a five star rating if you are happy with my answer. Thank you

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DocFes
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DocFes
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.