My dog Draco rested positive for heart worms (he is a rescue I just got ) but he has not shown any symptoms and it seems

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog Draco rested positive for heart worms (he is a rescue I just got ) but he has not shown any symptoms and it seems to be a light case
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been concerned about the worms? Have you spoken to a vet about this?
Customer: I read that black Artemisia and black walnut have killed them in many others pets is that something you can recommend yes and I have chosen not to do the fast kill approach since he is overall healthy and showing no symptoms
JA: Has the dog vomited recently? Any signs of blood in his stool?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Draco and he is a 2 year old 35 pound lab and setter mix
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Jessica Pet Vet in 1 min 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi. I'm Dr. Jessica

I'm glad you have reached out for guidance.

Customer
my dog Draco tested positive for heart worms the pink line was very faint and the rescue I got him from said it was a light case . He has shown no symptoms and is an overall healthy boy with no eating problems , lethargy , coughing etc ... I decided not to go with the 2000 dollar fast kill approach as his case is light and I do not want to have him kennel bound for months on end and be miserable . The rescue gave me heartguard but nothing else to kill the adult worms so I ddI research and found a lot of success stories with artemisia and black walnut

There are a few different options with Draco

1. Send out a confirmatory test for heartworm antigen and antibody

2. Administer monthly heartworm prevention such as Heartgard

3. Melarsomine treatment. He would need to be treated with steroids and antibiotics 1 month prior to treatment.

Since Draco is currently asymptomatic, I would start with sending out the confirmatory test. That can be a bit pricey though so you could just administer Heartgard once/month and recheck the heartworm test in 12 months.

I do not recommend that you give any other medications except what is recommended.

You can visit https://www.heartwormsociety.org/ for more information.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer
Is there any information to back this natural remedy

No there is no research on the natural remedy you are talking about.

I can tell you that I had a symptomatic dog that owner did not want to do Melarsomine treatment and he is now testing negative for heartworm disease and his only treatment was Heartgard.

Customer
Can I give him doxycycline
Customer
I know that is an antibiotic I’m just not sure if that heart guard will kill them all

So the Doxycycline is used to kill the Wohlbachia bacteria.

I typically will recommend treating with steroids and antibiotics for a month whether or not you are pursuing the fast kill treatment or not.

Customer
that does require a prescription correct ?
Customer
Will it hurt to try the black walnut and artemisia with his heart guard
Customer
I don’t want any of the things I’m giving him to react to one another negatively

Black walnuts are toxic to dogs so I do not recommend this treatment

You do need a prescription from your vet for the antibiotic and steroids

Customer
Whoa really ? I had no idea ! This is an herbal supplement is that the same thing
Customer
What antibiotic and steroids do you recommend along with the heart guard ?

Doxycycline and Prednisone.

Customer
I ordered the doxycycline off of chewy .com and it asked for my vets info in order for them to ship it . Where can I get the steroid and where can I get the antibiotic if the vet does not approve the doxycycline

You will have to go to another vet. There has to be a client patient relationship to be prescribed medications.

Customer
Ok I got ya ! Also the black walnut I bought isn’t the walnut it self it’s a dietary supplement vitamin and apparently u r supposed to break it up in half
Customer
definitely do not give it to him ?
Customer
File attached (TZQ1212)

Correct. Can cause seizures in dogs.

Customer
Ok and what about the artemisia
Customer
File attached (234MG4L)

I don't see anything that it is toxic to dogs but I do not believe that you need it. The heartgard is all that you need. I recommend antibiotic and steroids for the Wohlbachia.

Customer
How long will the combo of the steroids antibiotics and heartguard take to kill all adult worms and larvae ? When should I have him retested ?
Customer
Also how often do I administer the antibiotics and steroids and what dosage for 35 lbs lab mix ?

You treat for 30 days with antibiotics and steroids. Treat monthly with Heartgard. Retest in 12 months. Some recommend retesting in 6 months but I typically wait 12 months if the dog is doing well.

Customer
After the 30 days to I stop the use of antibiotics and steroids

I cannot give you the dosages. You need to have the prescription filled at your vet. If they just tested him, then you should be able to call or email the clinic asking for prescriptions for them.

Customer
The rescue that I got him from are the ones that tested him . When I mentioned anything other than the fast kill approach to the vet she shut it down

Then I recommend that you find another vet. Does the rescue have a vet that you can use?

Customer
They do but she only gave me the heartguard and nothing else to give with it

I would ask neighbors and family who they recommend. It does not sound like the vet you went to is a good fit for you and draco.

Customer
Thank you so much for all your help ! I really appreciate and I’m sure Draco does to !

No problem! Good luck with Draco! I hope that he tests negative on his next test after treatment! :)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.