I “think” my 6lb dog tweaked her back and possible her right back hind leg. Symptoms started this morning and have not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I “think” my 6lb dog tweaked her back and possible her right back hind leg. Symptoms started this morning and have not gotten better. She won’t move, eat or drink. Now she has buried herself behind my rosemary bush. She’s in pain and has a preexisting heart obstruction and I was unable to get her To take her meds This morning.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is her skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: rosie 10 or 11 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she has preexisting hip luxation
Answered by Dr. Jessica Pet Vet in 3 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, I'm Dr. Jessica

I am very sorry that Rosie has injured herself. Since she is not moving and is painful, she needs to be taken directly to an emergency veterinary clinic for evaluation. I hope there is one near you. Please place her in a padded dog kennel for transport to the clinic. If you do not have a kennel to transport her in, you can place Rosie in a laundry basket with padding. She needs pain medication so be careful picking her up as she may attempt to bite due to the pain. You can place a towel over her to pick her up.

Good luck with Rosie. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer
I’ve had terrible experiences with 24/7 emergency clinics. I’m not going to scare my little pup and do all that because she has a heart problem. Also. I have pain meds for her. So I can give her some. Idk how much to give her. It’s hydocan

Hycodan is a cough suppressant, not a pain medication.

Unfortunately, if your pet is not moving, she needs to be seen by the emergency vet. If you did not have good luck at the one clinic, I recommend that you try a different emergency clinic. I am concerned that Rosie is in pain.

Customer
Oh, I thought it helped with pain as well..
Then I do not have any pain medication for her! And you don't think they would just prescribe the meds without her being evaluated?Believe me, the evaluation would NOT help her, it would make her worse. She's has a history of back spurs "that not what they're actually called" and she would do the same thing. All I need is the meds
Customer
I hear what your saying

Yes, she would need to be evaluated prior to being prescribed medications. Unfortunately that is the law.

Do you have a mobile vet near you that could come to your home to make things more comfortable for Rosie?

Customer
That's a great idea! How would I find one?

Try googling "mobile veterinarians near me" and see what happens. Hopefully you will find one right away!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.