Our two year old lab ate leftover cooking oil yesterday morning. About 2 cups worth maybe less. She ate yesterday

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our two year old lab ate leftover cooking oil yesterday morning. About 2 cups worth maybe less. She ate yesterday morning but wouldn’t last night and threw up most of the night. Her throw up towards the early morning has had small clots of blood in it. She ate a piece of dry toast and drank some water this morning but I’m wondering if I should be worried about anything?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Lab weigh?
Customer: 70lbs
JA: The Expert will know if the Lab will be okay to digest the cook oil. What's the Lab's name?
Customer: Ellie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: i don’t think so.
Answered by Rebeccavet in 45 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Rebeccavet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian with over 30 years experience. I will do my best to help. I am sorry to hear Ellie is not eating, and is vomiting after getting cooking oil.

Eating a lot of fat at one time can cause pancreatitis, but usually not in dogs as young as Ellie.

If she kept down the toast and the water, that is a good sign.

Customer
She didn't eat last night but ate toast this morning and drank water.

You can try Pepcid AC/famotidine for nausea and vomiting. What does she weigh?

Customer
My big worry is that when she threw up around around 4am she had small spots of blood in her throw up.

It is not unusual to see spot of blood in a dog that has been vomiting a lot. It means the stomach lining is irritated. What we really don't like to see is black vomit, that looks like coffee grounds. That is a sign of internal bleeding.

Customer
Oh okay. Yeah the rest is just clear slimy vomit.
Customer
She weighs around 70lbs

She can take 20 mg of Pepcid AC/famotidine twice daily. Keep her on clear fluids and bland food today. If she vomits again, no solid food at all for a few hours.

If she won't eat or the vomiting gets worse, I would see a veterinarian.

Please let me know how Ellie is doing and if you have other questions.

Also, I'll check back in with you in 1 day on 5/5/2020. I can also answer any additional questions that may arise. Don't worry, there's no additional fee for this follow-up.
Customer
Thank you!

You are welcome. Stay safe.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. You can still send me updates and ask questions after rating, by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. Thanks for using our site.

Thanks for the great rating.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rebeccavet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rebeccavet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.