Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience
55012488

Follow Up] My fog ate some mice poison, she’s 23 lbs & ate

Follow Up]
Customer: my fog ate some mice poison, she’s 23 lbs & ate 1/2 brick of Hawk all weather bait chunks. Contains .005% bromadiolone. Out in country. Do we give her hydrogen peroxide ? My name is Jodie(###) ###-####JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the mouse poison did the hawk eat? Has she vomited?
Customer: it was our dog brand name is ***** ***** ate 1/2 of the brick
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Jodie?
Customer: has not vomited
Expert: Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.
Expert: 1/2 of a one-ounce block contains 1.42 mg of bromethalin. 1.42 mg/23 lbs = 0.06 mg/lb which is considerably under the 0.23 mg/lb that should trigger decontamination. If the "brick" were a one-ounce block, you needn't do anything as she'll remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis nor treat in any manner. Please respond with additional questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: So she didn’t eat enough to harm her? Should we use hydrogen peroxide?
Expert: Correct! No, inducing emesis isn't needed. Please continue with our conversation if you wish.
Customer: We’re waiting for our friend to check the container to make sure the amount she ate is accurate I’ll let you know shortly
Expert: I'll watch for your next post.
Expert: I regret that my veterinary board of examiners doesn't allow me to correspond with customers by phone in this venue. Please let me know if you would like me to opt out for another expert who can phone you.
Customer: She consumed about 1/2 ounce. Anything else we should do for her? What to watch for?
Expert: Thank you. She'll remain safe and unaffected. (Dogs that develop muscle tremors, hyperexcitation, or seizures within hours of exposure are in trouble. However, a more insidious sign, hind limb paresis (weakness), can arise in up to 5 days or more later.)Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Expert: Also, I'll check back in with you in 1 day on 3/22/2020. I can also answer any additional questions that may arise. Don't worry, there's no additional fee for this follow-up.
Customer: To Doc Paul: our dog just threw up about 5 times, last one still had a couple pieces of the poison block. Should we give her more peroxide later to ensure everything is out of her stomach? She didn’t want any water after but we’ll try again soon
Expert: (DocPaul can't type into this conversation. You'll need to stay in the phone conversation.)
Customer: Thank you can Doc Paul call me then at(###) ###-#### Thank you!! Jodie
Expert: You'll need to request a phone call once again.
May I have an update, please?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Nala is back to normal, the peroxide worked well, her stool & potty show no signs of blood. Energetic & eating & drinking well. A million thanks for your help during this ordeal, we’re so grateful! Thanks again and stay healthy!

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. Please remember to close our conversation by leaving a rating.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.