DoctorMike
DoctorMike, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
106239999

Growth under her skin and flakiness all around it. Lily, 12.

growth under her skin and flakiness all around it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily, 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: she had about 33 lumps and cysts removed 2 months ago -- all benign. However, there is all of this flaky stuff, I guess it's skin, but underneath is a mass. It is pretty soft and doesn't hurt her. I just don't know why there is all that flaky stuff. She also licks her paws till almost bloody. I tried Manuka honey but it is hard to wrap her paws with anything that will stay on.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?
Can you send some pictures to review?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no, there is no way to really take a good picture because it is underneath her black fur. I didn't notice it at all, my daughter saw the flaky stuff. I felt around it and tried to clean the flaky stuff and felt the growth. She's had 33 removed in the last 2 months, but none this large. All were benign. It doesn't hurt her. She does lick her paws, but I was told that it was an allergy possibly, or something else. She came here from our home in Germany last May, and that was quite emotional. The airline lost her at the Frankfurt airport! It took 3 days to find her and get her to our home in Texas. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also, my other daughter left in January to join the Air Force, and Lily loves her. I'm sure she misses her.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I sent a picture but you can't really see the growth -- just the flaky stuff
On the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can cause skin issues then. This can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize the skin to get to higher levels and may cause problems then. Topical items like chlorhexidine and miconozole can help on the skin. (Micochlor spray is an example ). These topicals can be applied on the area 2-4 times a day. This will kill the yeast and bacteria. They can be found at pet stores or ordered on line like on Amazon. The chlorhexidine will kill yeast and bacteria and the miconazole also will. This can help a lot to stop the itching. The sprays can be used 2-4 times a day as needed. There is also a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it that you can spray onto the red and itchy skin also. This will take down a lot of itch and inflammation also. You can do this 2-4 times a day as needed also.
Here are some examples:

1. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief.
2. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray.

The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect. The miconozole will addres yeast. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.
So sorry to hear about what had happened earlier this year at the airport
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thanks so much. I guess the growth is nothing I need to worry about then? I don't feel that it is an emergency since she's had so many problems. I appreciate your advice on the itchiness and the remedies. Thank you.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Let me know when I can submit the rating for you. You've been great.
The growth as you have had other ones before. How does this growth feel ? How rapidly is it growing ?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I was completely unaware of it. It's not hard and it doesn't hurt her. I guess, since she had surgery in January, that it just happened. The flaky skin is what grossed my daughter out and as I mentioned, the itching on her paws has got to be painful for her. I wish I had a good vet in my area in Texas, but I don't. Since I'm on Leave without pay I would have to find a reduced fee vet but can't find any at all around here. That's why I so appreciate your advice.
We can keep this message open for 5 days if any other questions or changes with the mass occur also. Aspirin at 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours can help with pain and inflammation
Sorry to hear about your situation too.
More aggressive masses keep grueling at a more rapid rate. More benign or slow growing masses change more slowly
Growing not grueling.