Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year old cocker spaniel ate a small chicken leg bone.

Customer Question

My 4 year old cocker spaniel ate a small chicken leg bone. I’m freaking out and I just hope it isn’t gonna hurt him. Should I take him to the vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Cocker Spaniel weigh?
Customer: 35lbs
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since eating the chicken?
Customer: about 5 minutes ago and no just licking up where he made a mess
JA: What's the Cocker Spaniel's name?
Customer: bur bud
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he doesn’t have any other health concerns. He’s a healthy boy
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is Dr Scott, thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay

Hello again,

Hopefully, Bur Bud will get away with this, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor Bur Bud and see what happens. In my experience, most dogs will get away with this, but this is all you can now do at present as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid sharp objects like the chicken bone as this could cause damage to the throat on the way back up. That said if this has happened in the last hour then feeding your dog some slices of bread or some mashed potato is a good idea, you see the potato or bread may form around any sharp bone fragments and so help protect your dog's alimentary tract as the fragments pass along.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your dog to swallow this chicken bone whole Bur Bud would have to crunch it into smaller pieces and normally they should pass OK. Also, some digestion and softening of chicken bones are possible in your dog's stomach and this will greatly help as well.

3. However, there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic, I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor Bur Bud for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course, consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though ...

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 14 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bur Bud is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken leg bone ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott