Just wanna make sure we don’t need to do anything more at this time. Puppy still very listless - won’t stand on her own

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: just wanna make sure we don’t need to do anything more at this time. Puppy still very listless - won’t stand on her own unless placed in that position, and even then sits/lies as soon as we’ll let her. She is taking water from a syringe fairly well - and will urinate when I stand her up if she needs to go (light yellow) - and has eaten about half a pound of blandly cooked chicken breast since yesterday afternoon, but hasn’t had a BM since then. Her temp is 101.7 rectally.
Answered by DoctorShazza in 1 hour 2 years ago
imglogo
DoctorShazza
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there. This is Dr. Shazza. I am sorry to hear about your puppy. How old is she? Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?
Also, has you puppy had any vaccines?
Customer
Are you able to see my earlier chat with the other vet?
Customer
No worries - just didn’t wanna repeat what you knew. She was gotten Christmas Day from someone’s home where in hindsight we think the momma and 2 other puppies ingested rat poison (they died :(. This puppy is ~7 weeks old and has shown no signs of being poisoned but was very infested with worms. We have have treated her with Albon, panacur, and Drontal as suggested by a local vet (closed yesterday and today) starting last Friday. He also gave her shots of an antibiotic/lasix and B12 (I think it was B12). Yesterday she began being quite lethargic but would eat (bland chicken) and drink (water and sugar water) if you brought stuff to her, but won’t stand or walk more than a few seconds. She will urinate when held to stand (light yellow) but hadn’t pooped since yesterday. Her tummy is very distended and she has been pooping out a lot of worms lately so I “helped” her poop a little just a little while ago and it’s mostly worms and was very hard for her to pass. Definitely is constipated - I feel if we could get her to pass them she would at least feel better. She cries when moved and sometimes just randomly.

There could certainly be more going on in addition to intestinal parasites. I would be very concerned about Parvovirus. If you could, I would recommend taking her in to an emergency vet to have her tested for Parvovirus. It is a very serious, life-threatening viral infection. Also, she may be anemic and need a transfusion. Wishing you and your pup the best of luck.

Customer
Thanks.

My pleasure. I really wish you and your pup the best.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DoctorShazza
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DoctorShazza
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.