Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My Boston terrier keeps shaking, drooling, vomiting, and

My Boston terrier keeps shaking, drooling, vomiting, and chomping. She is very fidgety
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Foamy and there is food in it
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: No, we only give her dog food She also had a siezure
JA: And what's the Boston Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bella?
Customer: Just the seizures

My name is Dr. Emily and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please know that if you would like a phone call to help with your question, you will be speaking with a different expert than myself. The website generates the phone call request without my control. I do not have access to a phone at this time. The questions the website first asks helps give us more information so it is nice to have those answers as well.

When did the seizure happen? We often see shaking, drooling, and vomiting after a seizure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The siezure happened early in the morning. At 4am
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has had seizures in the past but she is usually fine right after.

Ok. Is there anything you know of that she could have gotten into?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, nothing. She is an in house dog. She is walking around very wobbly

It sounds like she is having a more difficult time after this seizure. There is a limited amount we can do at home for this. The best thing is to let her rest, encourage her to drink and offer a bland diet. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the vomiting is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture.

Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called cerenia to stop the vomiting. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian. At home you can give 1 tablet of 10 mg famotidine to help settle the stomach.

If further signs develop such as diarrhea, decreased energy level or no appetite even for the bland food, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis, something foreign stuck in the GI tract, etc. If she continues to walk wobbly, having her seen to be given IV fluids to flush out her system and stabilize her body, is the best option.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, this is great info. Thank you!

Seizures can occur due to a condition similar to epilepsy in people. With a first time occurrence, what we start with is a routine blood panel to rule out any underlying body organ problem that could lead to her seizures, such as with her blood sugar level and her liver. If everything looks good with her blood work, then we monitor for future seizures. The reason we do not start medication right away is because the medication can be very hard on their body and we do not want to cause harm to a healthy body if the seizure was going to be a one time incident. Seizures can happen as isolated incidents due to stressful situations, for example. If seizures become more frequent or longer in duration, then we do need to start medication.

I do recommend keeping journal of when these events happen, what happened and how long it lasted. If more occur or they become longer in duration, then medication would be warranted. Unfortunately we cannot exclude something more serious with her brain but unfortunately this cannot be detected without special imaging like an MRI or if other signs develop such as difficulty walking, facial paralysis, inability to eat or drink, or inability to blink.

You're very welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions and thank you for rating when you have a chance, I appreciate it.