Rhett Burch
Rhett Burch, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at North Airline Animal Hospital
105819737

Upset stomach, hard abdomen that's painful to the touch &

Customer Question

Upset stomach, hard abdomen that's painful to the touch & panting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A chihuahua poodle mix. 6 years old, 10lbs
JA: Does this panting happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the Chihuahua have a cough as well?
Customer: Not all the time & no coughing
JA: What's the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He ate table scraps at a party Friday night. He had a cheeto, bits of salami, & a piece of a grape
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rhett Burch replied 12 days ago.

Hello. I am sorry your pet is having problems. There are several possibilities for your dog’s symptoms. The most common cause is a dietary indiscretion, meaning they ate something bad and now they have an upset stomach. The only way to know what is causing your pet’s symptoms is to take them to the vet and have tests run. Take your pet to the vet today if you can.

If you can’t, let your dog go 12 hours without eating to let the stomach settle. Give Omeprazole (Prilosec) or Famotidine (Pepcid) for vomiting/nausea once a day. Tell me your dog’s weight and I will give you a dose. Wait an hour after that and then give 1 cup of Pedialyte/Gatorade/Chicken Broth once every 8 hours orally with a bulb syringe.

After 12 hours, offer your pet a bland diet consisting of boiled chicken breast and rice for 3-5 days. Do not add any seasonings or oil to the chicken and rice. Also, you can add a tablespoon of plain yogurt. Then gradually reintroduce your pet's regular food. If your dog won't eat after 12 hours of fasting, try to spoon-feed pureed chicken breast and rice, plain yogurt, or baby food. If those things don't help, let me know or go to a vet. Any questions?

Expert:  Rhett Burch replied 6 days ago.

Let me know if you think of any more questions. You can still chat with me for another 7 days at no additional cost. If you have time, please rate my answer. It is very important. Rating will not end our chat. Please let me know what more I can do if you don’t think I deserve 5 stars. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a nice day.