Last night I had a bag with a few Oxycodone Hydrochloride 10 mg pills on the counter. My miniature labradoodle chewed up

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi last night I had a bag with a few Oxycodone Hydrochloride 10 mg pills on the counter. My miniature labradoodle chewed up the bag. He did not eat any of the pills but there was a couple tiny pieces that broke off, less than a quarter, so I picked it all up. I’m not positive if he ingested any of the tiny pieces. So I gave him hydrogen peroxide just in case, to make him throw up. He did about 4 times and then seemed fine. This morning for a few minutes he was coughing. He had been laying down and seems to be feeling fine. He is acting normal now and playing around but still sometimes coughs like he has something in his throat. I think he is fine but I’m still worried and don’t know if I need to take him in to the vet or just watch if there’s any signs I need to look for.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Miniature Labradoodle will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Miniature Labradoodle?
Customer: He’s had trouble with skin infections I think he has allergies but he also has very sensitive skin. And 2 or 3 days ago he had really bad diarrhea, and also every now and then he will throw up randomly. I don’t know if that helps what’s going on now but that’s the only other issues he has had, he just turned 1.
Answered by Scott Perry in 2 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Scott Perry
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! My name is***** and I am a veterinarian and I can help to answer your question. I understand your dog has been coughing ever since vomiting was induced when he might have swallowed parts of a tablet of oxycodone. Is that a correct summary of what is happening?

Customer
he coughs pretty regularly but this morning for a few minutes it was constant, the vomiting was last night. And I'm not positive he got any of the tablet it was almost like when he was biting the bag his tooth scraped the table and it broke off little piece. The pieces were like half the size of a piece of rice and smaller most of it was like powder. Because the table was still almost full size but I just want to be safe and if he needs something done I want to make sure it gets done

I am assuming there was no cough prior to when vomiting was induced. Is that correct?

Customer
No

It is not uncommon for irritation to occur in the oropharynx after vomiting, which is the back of the mouth and throat area. If contents accidentally aspirated into the airway, then that can cause irritation as well. The important thing is to monitor the resting respiratory rate to make sure he is breathing normally without increased effort. The normal resting respiratory rate is 10-20 breaths in 30 seconds. If you are able to count the number of breaths in 30 seconds, the you can determine if he is breathing comfortably. If it is consistently faster than 25 breaths, then he should be seen by a veterinarian.

No other treatments are needed for whatever parts of the tablets he might have swallowed. Any signs of ingestion should have been observed within the fist 12 hours. The early signs are lethargy, vomiting, and decreased respirations. These signs are usually self-limiting and resolve within 2-3 days. You could consider giving a cough suppressant such as over-the-counter Robitussin DM. Robitussin DM contains the ingredient dextrometorphan, and the dose is determined based on that ingredient. The dose to give is 1 mg per pound of body weight of dextrometorphan every 12 hours. That is all the treatment you likely will need. If he continues to cough for more than 3 days, then a veterinarian should be seen.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Did you receive my response above and did it help you?

Customer
I'm counting his breaths right now it's kinda hard but I was counting 8 I'm gonna try one more time

It takes practice, but it is OK if it is 7-8 breaths. It should not be lower than that. The medication when it was first swallowed might decrease the respiratory rate, but at this point in time, those effects should have been worn off. The issue you want to monitor is the risk of pneumonia from inhaling stomach contents during vomiting (i.e. aspiration). That would produce a faster than normal respiratory rate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review at the top of the screen when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back any time to ask additional questions. A 5-star review helps me to continue assisting other people, so your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Scott Perry
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Scott Perry
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.