Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a rescue small dog that gave birth to two pups day

I have a rescue small dog that gave birth to two pups day after I starting fostering her. She has developed a cough two and a half weeks after birthing. No vet in my area will see her because she is a foster dog and no one can fund the cost. Can I give her Clavimox?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jain, she is a mix chi and maybe kingpin. She is young.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jain?
Customer: She does have an eye infection she got from the kill pound where she was rescued. They gave her eye drop meds when she was rescued.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore any requests for phone calls. The website generates those without my control. I do not have access to a phone at this time.

There are a variety of causes of cough, some that can be treated with clavamox. If it is kennel cough, then clavamox will help. If there is an underlying heart issue causing the cough, then clavamox will not help. Clavamox is dosed 62.5 mg for 10 pounds, 125 mg for 20 pounds, etc.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I could start her on it and see if she gets better?

I would, yes. I presume you have it at home?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do. 10 days worth.

What size? How big is the dog?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
12 lbs

Sounds great. 62.5 mg is her size then. I'll be signing off soon but I can check messages tomorrow if anything changes. Let me know if you have further questions and thank you for rating when you have a chance, I appreciate it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much.