Dog Veterinary

My.dog are a bar of soap and keeps throwing up. Just soap…

My.dog are a bar...

My.dog are a bar of soap and keeps throwing up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Just soap from.what I see

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name... Read full answer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Just soap from.what I see

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bear and he is 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?

He has a faint hear murmur that is not being treated per vest advice at this time

5/22/2019
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds }?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sometime between 230pm and 8. He weights about 11 poundsI noticed white vomit on the floor and a small piece of soap in it. He was not eating his wet food and vomited the Turkey meat I gave him. I gave him half a pepto pill in a small piece of food. He is just now eating his dinner as I type this. He was not eating or drinking and lethargic so I was worried

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Soap is not toxic but it may cause stomach upset as you have seen. In most cases, the stomach upset will just pass on its own, but if it lingers here are some tips on how to handle it.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day, feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course, if your dog does deteriorate in any significant way or you become further concerned then you should have a local vet check him over as soon as possible. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bear's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Would you be able to provide some info in regards to my dog
Hey, would you be able to provide some info in regards ***** ***** dog eating soap. … read more
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Veterinarian,
She keeps having seizures. She started zonegran 2 days ago.
She keeps having seizures. She started zonegran 2 days ago. Could this be because of her heart murmur they just found? … read more
Veterinarian,
My dog is on enalapril twice per day and I think she had CHF
My dog is on enalapril twice per day and I think she had CHF last night during the thunderstorms (fainting/coughing/) then came out of it. Can I give her Benedryl to calm her during the storms? … read more
Dog Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My 16 pound poodle mix dog just ate a whole bar of Dove bath
My 16 pound poodle mix dog just ate a whole bar of Dove bath soap. Should I do anything? … read more
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Veterinarian,
BA
Ate a bar of netrogena soap. Milo he is a 65 lb 10 mo old
Ate a bar of netrogena soap JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: Milo he is a 65 lb 10 mo old German Sh… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
7 pound dog just ate a bar of soap. Natasha. 7 months.
7 pound dog just ate a bar of soap. JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: Natasha. 7 months JA: Is there… read more
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My 6 year old Golden just ate a small bar of soap that I was
My 6 year old Golden just ate a small bar of soap that I was going to throw away. She didn't care for the taste, but she appears fine. Will this hurt her? … read more
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Associate Veterinarian,
My 85 lb. lab ate 2 30mg. Cymbalta pills, 3 vitamin E pills,
My 85 lb. lab ate 2 30mg. Cymbalta pills, 3 vitamin E pills, 1 80 mg. Aspirin, 1 stool softener, and 1 zocor 20 mg. Should we give him hydrogen peroxide to throw up? … read more
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Veterinarian,
he ate a small bar of safeguard antibacterial soap. He has
he ate a small bar of safeguard antibacterial soap. He has thrown up and it looks like it is all out of his system … read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
What should I be concerned about concerning my lab eating a
what should I be concerned about concerning my lab eating a bar of dove soap with shea butter… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
cocker spaniel: 11 week old pedigree..told that a vet says..energy
I have been offered a 11 week old pedigree cocker spaniel puppy for very little money which has a faint heart murmour- .I have been told that a vet says as it is very faint it may just go - should I t… read more
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Senior Small Animal Veterinarian,
BVSc
border collie mix: 11 year old..licking..its a wound..I put peroxide
My 11 year old border collie mix has a small dime size sore on his hip, he's been licking it and it is raised, and looks like its a wound without a hole, but rather it raised. I put peroxide on it and… read more
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Doctors Degree
Stop searching for answers—
My English bulldog, Eddie, ate a bar of soap today. I could
My English bulldog, Eddie, ate a bar of soap today. I could see evidence of this around the house, but I have been looking for the bar. I now see that he ate the bar of soap. He is now vomiting the so… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John
Veterinarian,
I have an english bulldog and he ate a dove bar of soap. He
I have an english bulldog and he ate a dove bar of soap. He has been throwing up since yesterday woke up this morning with Diarrhea and just threw up and there was blood in his throw up what should I … read more
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Veterinarian,
Dalmatian: two year old..year old male..vet thinks..was 8 weeks old
Hi we have a two year old male Dalmatian who is a fit and healthy dog. He recently went for his booster jabs and the vet thinks she may have picked up a heart murmur. We have had him since he was 8 we… read more
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Veterinary Surgeon,
Last night our 12 year old chihuahua who has a heart murmur
Last night our 12 year old chihuahua who has a heart murmur woke us panting and had wet his bed. We took him to our Dr. this morning and the vet asked if the breathing was labored and we said no. He s… read more
DVM Dave
DVM Dave
veterinarian,
chihuahua: I think my 13 yr...He cant walk..excited..throw
I think my 13 yr. old chihuahua has conjestive heart. He cant walk very far or get excited because he collapses, at that point he stretches way out and throw his head back as far as he can. Sometimes … read more
Medical Director,
my dog ate a bar of soap and is throwing up quit a bit. Will
my dog ate a bar of soap and is throwing up quit a bit. Will this pass or is it life threatening?… read more
Veterinarian,