My dog ate a 2oz block of tomcat rat poison. He’s a 68 lb pit. I don’t know when he ate it, because I just found the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog ate a 2oz block of tomcat rat poison. He’s a 68 lb pit bull. I don’t know when he ate it, because I just found the chewed up bait box. It must of been in the last 4 days though.
JA: Please give me a sec to read that.
Customer: ...
JA: Thanks for these details. We'll do all we can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: No. I just found the remains of the rat bait box.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He’s almost 4 years old, and in good health
Answered by Rebeccavet in 5 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Rebeccavet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian with over 30 years experience. I will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear your dog ate Tom Cat rat bait.

If he only ate one block, this should not make him sick.

The toxic dose of bromethalin in a dog his size is 15 mg of bromethalin. One ounce of the bait contains 2.84 mg, so 2 ounces would be 5.68 mg, well below the toxic dose of 15 mg.

If this happened more than an hour ago, it is too late to induce vomiting.

Customer
I there anything I should look out for or anything i should feed him?

There is no antidote or treatment for bromethalin. Feed normally. The signs are neurologic: tremors, seizures, etc. He would show symptoms in a few hour to a day after getting the bait.

I misspoke; there is a treatment: intensive care and IV lipid therapy in dogs that got a toxic dose too late to induce vomiting.

Customer
Ok. I will watch him. Good thing he’s a big hefty dog.

I expect he will be OK if he only got one block.

Please let me know how he is doing.

My goal is to provide excellent service; please let me know if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website that I assisted you. You can ask other questions and get back to me with updates after rating.

​Thank you for using our site.

Customer
Is him eating grass afterwards normal behavior?

Dogs eat grass for unknown reasons. It can be a sign of nausea, but that is not a symptom of Tomcat poison.

I am assuming the Tomcat is bromethalin. That is in most of the Tomcat rat baits.

Do you have the container to check the active ingredient? If it is an "anti coagulant" rat poison, he should be started on the antidote for that, Vitamin K 1.

Customer
I don’t have the container or even the trap. The residue on the piece that is left is bright green. The trap is at least 12-18 months old. I thought we had found all of them and disposed of them. He found one.

Tomcat is usually bromethalin, but all rat poisons are green or blue/green.

If this is an anti coagulant rat poison, you could see bruises or spot on his gums or inside his ears or his skin. If you see anything like that, contact a veterinarian immediately to get the antidote

Thanks for the great rating. How is he doing?

Customer
He’s acting normal. No change in behavior or feeding.
Customer
Gums look normal too.

Glad to hear it; thanks for the update.

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rebeccavet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rebeccavet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.