Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian with over 30 years experience. I will do my best to help.
I am sorry to hear your dog ate Tom Cat rat bait.
If he only ate one block, this should not make him sick.
The toxic dose of bromethalin in a dog his size is 15 mg of bromethalin. One ounce of the bait contains 2.84 mg, so 2 ounces would be 5.68 mg, well below the toxic dose of 15 mg.
If this happened more than an hour ago, it is too late to induce vomiting.
There is no antidote or treatment for bromethalin. Feed normally. The signs are neurologic: tremors, seizures, etc. He would show symptoms in a few hour to a day after getting the bait.
I misspoke; there is a treatment: intensive care and IV lipid therapy in dogs that got a toxic dose too late to induce vomiting.
I expect he will be OK if he only got one block.
Please let me know how he is doing.
My goal is to provide excellent service; please let me know if you have other questions.
Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website that I assisted you. You can ask other questions and get back to me with updates after rating.
Thank you for using our site.
Dogs eat grass for unknown reasons. It can be a sign of nausea, but that is not a symptom of Tomcat poison.
I am assuming the Tomcat is bromethalin. That is in most of the Tomcat rat baits.
Do you have the container to check the active ingredient? If it is an "anti coagulant" rat poison, he should be started on the antidote for that, Vitamin K 1.
Tomcat is usually bromethalin, but all rat poisons are green or blue/green.
If this is an anti coagulant rat poison, you could see bruises or spot on his gums or inside his ears or his skin. If you see anything like that, contact a veterinarian immediately to get the antidote
Thanks for the great rating. How is he doing?
Glad to hear it; thanks for the update.
65872 satisfied customers