My dog has bitten the hair off her lower back today and it’s now raw. Over the last week or so she loved when I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog has bitten the hair off her lower back today and it’s now raw . Over the last week or so she loved when I scratched that part of her back
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No blood it’s just raw skin where she bit the hair off today
JA: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Millie 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?
Customer: No
Answered by Dwight Alleyne in 3 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dwight Alleyne
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 10 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. You may see a phone call request that is automatically generated by the website. I am available by phone but if you prefer to text please ignore the request and we will continue the chat via text. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

Customer
Hi

Okay great let me know when you are able to upload the pictures

Customer
What is wrong with this
Customer
I want to continue bu text can you see image

Yes I got the image. I am downloading it now.

Customer
Thank you

Okay based on what I am seeing with the picture. It looks like Millie has what I would call a hotspot. This is what I commonly see in dogs that have allergies to something in the environment or food or a combination of both.

Customer
She is eating the same food
Customer
What can I do to cure her . Can I rub something on it now , what about aloe Vera

The can develop sensitivity to food over time. Also some brands can change ingredients without making it obvious on the bag as well. Based on how it looks, she may need a steroid injection and antibiotics. You can try a topical cortisone to see if it helps but you have to make sure she doesn't lick it. But in the majority of cases of hotspots they often need prescription medications to get a complete cure.

Customer
What can I put on it tonight . I don’t have cortisone . Would aloe Vera be ok

Aloe Vera can help soothe the skin but it won't do anything for the itch if she is biting and chewing at the area. She definitely needs something to cover the area up with like a T-shirt or a cone if you have one.

Customer
Is there anything you would suggest to soothe the skin that I would have in the cupboard
Customer
Anything for the itch

That would depend what you have in your cupboard. If you have an anti-histamine such as plain Benadryl it may provide temporary relief for the itch in some cases.

Customer
No I don’t

Sorry I will opt out and see if another veterinarian can help you . They may be some that have natural remedies that I am not aware of.

Customer
Thank you can you pass me on please
Customer
What’s taking so long

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a dog and cat veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your dog has an itchy spot on her back. I'll be back in a moment with some advice...

Customer
How long more will it take please

Oh, poor Millie! That looks like a really itchy spot on her back. The redness and puffiness may be from her licking and chewing the area. Sometimes dogs get a secondary bacterial infection, so if you see sores or scabs, she might need an oral antibiotic.

For dogs who just have itchy skin and no sores, bathing can be helpful. I suggest you give her an "oatmeal bath." You can do this by grinding about a cup of raw rolled oats to a fine powder in a food processor or blender. Run a warm bath and mix the oatmeal powder into the water thoroughly. Put Millie into the bath water and use a cup to pour the oatmeal water over her irritated area. It's best to let her soak in this bath for at least 10 minutes.

When you take her out, you may apply the aloe vera gel to the area, but try to hold her for 15-20 minutes so she won't lick it off right away.

Customer
Thank you will this Clear it up or will I have to do something else

I want to mention that when dogs get really itchy around the base of their tails, I always make sure to look for fleas. If you aren't already using a good flea preventive, now would be a good time to start.

Itchy spots on the skin can be caused by allergies to pollen or food, but fleas can cause identical symptoms. Even one or two fleas can be enough to make a sensitive dog itchy for days.

You can repeat oatmeal baths every 1-3 days, as needed. Tomorrow, you can get some Benadryl, I hope. The dose my clients use is 1 mg per pound of body weight (about 10-12.5 mg for a 10 lb dog). It's given twice a day for as long as is needed. It may cause mild drowsiness.

If the symptoms don't improve in a couple of days or if Millie develops new symptoms, you should see your vet for stronger treatment.

One more idea is this pramoxine conditioner you can buy on Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/2AgbWsG it has a topical anesthetic that works great to temporarily relieve itchy skin in dogs!

Any questions I haven't answered?

Just realized you are on metric so the dose of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is 2 mg per kg.

Thank you for submitting your question! It's been a pleasure to work with you. My goal is to fully answer your question. Please don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If you’re finished, I’d really appreciate if you’d give me a 5-star rating. I’m paid a portion of your fee only if you give me a positive rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know if you have more questions. : )

Customer
Thank you I will try this
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dwight Alleyne
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dwight Alleyne
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.