Wruigkey began scratching and chewing on his hindquarters, causing hair loss and hot spot type sores. I bathed him but

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Wruigkey began scratching and chewing on his hindquarters, causing hair loss and hot spot type sores. I bathed him but the issue got worse. I had changed his food to blue buffalo chicken adult grain free with alpo canned food. Not sure what to think.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you.
Customer: Wrigley is an active border collie mix, 7 yrs old.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Wrigley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wrigley?
Customer: Not yhat i can think of, he is healthy and boisteruos most of the time.
Answered by Dr. Thompson in 26 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a dog and cat veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your dog Wrigley has been scratching and chewing the back part of his body. I'll be back in a few minutes with some advice...

I wonder if Wrigley has ever had any skin, eye or ear symptoms in the past that could be consistent with allergies? Although there are many causes of itchy skin with hair loss, the most common is allergies. Now, just what Wrigley is allergic to is unknown. The biggest source of allergens for dogs is pollen. They inhale it and it also gets on their skin. Allergies tend to flare up in the spring and fall and be quiet the rest of the year.

If you're seeing sores, he might have a secondary bacterial infection. I sometimes treat this type of infection with oral antibiotics, depending on how severe it is. Milder infections are treated with topical medications and frequent bathing. Bathing also helps remove some of the allergens from the skin. You can use an oatmeal shampoo and a pramoxine leave-on conditioner to help with the itch. Here's a good conditioner I like on Amazon: conditioner. You can bathe Wrigley every day to every other day while things are severe.

Now, I didn't mention the flea factor. If you live in a place where fleas are common, make sure you're providing excellent flea control. Even if you don't see fleas on Wrigley, there could be one or two. Some dogs are so sensitive that they stay super itchy for a long time from even a few flea bites. You should use either an oral flea control med like NexGard or a spot on like Frontline. Clean your house and use something like Fleabusters powder to help kill immature fleas on floors/carpets/furniture.

My clients sometimes give antihistamines to help with all sorts of allergies. The standard dose is one 25 mg pill per 25 pounds of body weight twice a day.

A hypoallergenic diet can help some dogs. If you want to try that, I suggest getting a prescription brand since the over the counter kind are unreliable. Honestly, though, allergies to pollens are much more common than food allergies although more than one thing could be going on.

Anything I haven't covered?

Customer
You have been very helpful. This evening he has jumped up and turned around as if something bit him or was crawling on him. Seems like fleas....you think?

It certainly could be! Time for flea warfare :).

Customer
Thank you for help,will get flea product tomorrow, and watch for signs of infection.

Good-- keep up with the bathing and try the oatmeal shampoo and pramoxine conditioner.

Thank you for submitting your question! It's been a pleasure to work with you. My goal is to fully answer your question. Please don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If you’re finished, I’d really appreciate if you’d give me a 5-star rating. I’m paid a portion of your fee only if you give me a positive rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know if you have more questions. : )

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Thompson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.