He's not eating his food unless we put a bit of pumpkin in it, and he's lethargic. Finn, four years old, mastiff/pit

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: he's not eating his food unless we put a bit of pumpkin in it, and he's lethargic
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: finn, four years old, mastiff/pit bull mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finn?
Customer: couple things: we got him two weeks ago, and before the past few days he has been very happy and high energy. we had gradually switched him to new food over the first week with no problems. however, this week he regurgitated food in the morning (on monday), possibly due to the california heat, so we upped our a/c. then two days ago he managed to eat half a stick of butter by knocking it off the counter; he seemed fine (no wrapper on it), but two mornings in a row now he's had rumbly tummy and been reluctant to eat without pumpkin to settle him.
Answered by Dr. Thompson in 17 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a dog and cat veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your dog Finn has a decreased appetite and a rumbly tummy. I'll be back in a few minutes with some advice...

Oh my, half a stick of butter? That's a lot of fat :). It's not surprising Finn has a bit of an upset tummy now.

I'm glad to hear he's still eating some food, even if it's not his normal amount. Here's what I recommend for dogs with these symptoms:

1. Withhold at least one meal to give the gastrointestinal tract a break. Allow your dog to have water without restriction.

2. Pepcid AC is a safe over the counter antacid that can be given to dogs with an upset stomach. The dose works out to about one 10 mg tablet per 40 pounds of body weight once or twice a day. It is a very safe medicine with a wide dosing range.

3. Feed a bland diet of cooked chicken or turkey and mushy rice (cooked with triple the normal amount of water). Feed this instead of the normal diet for a day or two until symptoms have improved.

I wouldn't be surprised to see soft stool as well. If Finn stops eating or has severe vomiting and/or diarrhea for more than 24 hours, he should be seen by a vet.

I hope Finn feels better soon!

Thank you for submitting your question! It's been a pleasure to work with you. My goal is to fully answer your question. Please don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If you’re finished, I’d really appreciate if you’d give me a 5-star rating. I’m paid a portion of your fee only if you give me a positive rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know if you have more questions. : )

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Dr. Thompson
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Thompson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.