Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our older lab has a cancerous wound above his right eye. Our…

Our older lab has...

Our older lab has a cancerous wound above his right eye. Our newly adopted dog obsessively licks the wound and causes it to bleed because his snaggletooth catches on it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

When i catch our new dog doing it, i need to put hydrogen peroxide with some gauze to stop bleeding into his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Our older lab Riley is very sweet natured and lets him do it (14) our newer dog is a smaller poodle mix, his name is ***** ***** sweet, around 2+years old but won't leave Riley alone

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Spencer?

As i just mentioned 2+ years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Spencer?

He has an underbite, but one tooth stocks out more and this is the one causing the wound to keep re-opening

8/8/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian with over 30 years experience. I will do my best to help.

I am sorry Riley has this cancer above his eye. Have you had it tested; do you know what kind of cancer it is?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
he had the same type of cancer several years ago in his gum area. Surgery was successful, but vet said it may return and it has. he suggested leaving it be due to his age and also cannot operate under his lower lip/chin area

Testing it, to find out what type of cancer it is, might tell you ways to treat it. Some cancers (not all) may shrink or at least not grow quickly if treated with nonsteroidal anti inflammatory medications like piroxicam or meloxicam.

Starting him on the Chinese medicine Yunnan Baiyao may help reduce bleeding episodes.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
the cancer spot area above his eye is typically dark in color with a pink center. Its not very aggressive . He also has it on his cheek. Spencer doesn't touch this area

Your veterinarian could take a tiny sample, to check microscopically. You can't tell what it is just looking at it.

Cancer tends not to heal, so even if Spencer were not licking it, it might continue to bleed.

If he were mine, I would do an "impression smear" or FNA, fine needle aspiration, to try to find out what this is.

I am so sorry but I can't make calls for the website. That offer comes automatically and not from me.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Vet said to keep re-checking for infection, to give him antibiotics, which i think we need to do now. The problem is the most immediate to train spencer from going at it. The wound when left alone crusts over and is fine. Vet has already aspirated it
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
how do i get a refund of the $28 if you are unable to call me?

Training a dog not to lick another would be very difficult. You might get him to stop when you are present, but not when the dogs are left alone together. This is mutual grooming behavior, that both dogs want. You would have to separate them whenever you are not there.

The website should refund your phone call deposit if an expert does not make a call. Another expert may see the phone call request and call you.

You can contact customer service on the drop down menu. I do not have access to payments. This happens often, and customers are not charged for a call they do not get.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I just don't recall the exact form of cancer he has right now - some sort of carcinoma , but his lungs and lymph nodes are good

You could try putting something like Bitter Apply around (but not on) the lesion.

Carcinoma is usually serious. It is one that might respond to piroxicam.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
can you please explain piroxicam?

Piroxicam is a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drug, originally used for arthritis in people. It has anti cancer effects, and can slow the growth of certain types of cancer, including some carcinomas.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
i will check that out. we try to separate them when we aren't present..but it just takes a few moments for him to get at it

That is not likely a trainable behavior. Dogs grooming each other is a major part of their social behavior. Your question was posted on the dog veterinary list. You can try contacting the dog training experts. I can't recatagorize your question. Customer service might do this if you contact them on the drop down menu.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Spencer is currently in his crate - they get along very well, but Spencer is in general a licker

That is normal behavior, especially if Riley is the dominant dog.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I was told a training expert would be available to help, but I do understand the "social" aspect of grooming each other
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Riley is not the dominant dog...Spencer craves attention and has taken over, but Riley is so passive he doesn't mind. But I know this wound is hurting him

The training experts do not always see questions on the veterinary list, as many of the training experts are not veterinarians, but some are.

Since grooming is a normal social behavior, it should not be punished at all. You can try calling him away, and rewarding him for doing so, whenever he does it, and using a basket muzzle on him when you are not there.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I don't want to put a basket muzzle on him. We now have a baby gate for the stairs, as our house is mostly open.

That would be a good way to keep them apart when you are not there.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Ok, thank you for your suggestions in terms of rewarding him etc. but I'm afraid its not going to change as he is rather obsessive.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I'll look into the Piroxicam

I agree. It is hard to train a dog away from normal behavior, that is probably being encouraged by the dog on the receiving end of the grooming.

You would need to see your veterinarian for a prescription for piroxicam.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
indeed.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thank you and good evening.

Please let me know how he is doing. You are welcome.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the positive rating.