Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been restlessly trotting around for about an hour,

Customer Question
She has been restlessly...

She has been restlessly trotting around for about an hour, not panting but with her mouth open.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She has been restlessly trotting for about an hour, not panting, but with her mouth open. She won’t sit or lay down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Birdie, about 4. Rescue, but looks like a flat coated retriever.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Birdie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Birdie?

When rescued, she had heart worms, which were treated with the slow kill method. We had a birthday party last night and my daughter thinks she was scared of the balloons and she removed them, but she is still trotting.

Submitted: 12 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
We think we’ve discovered the problem. A bottle of 10 milligram (20-25) pills is empty of Vivance, an adhd medication.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
What do we do now? They were probably swallowed last night and are already in her system.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 12 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did I understand that she potentially consumed up to 250mg of Vyvanse?

How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
50 pounds

Vyvanse toxicity can occur at dosages around 1mg/kg which is roughly 22mg for a dog her size. Major symptoms would be expected around 220mg which is right at the amount she's consumed. If you believe that this took place, I would arrange a vet visit immediately, even if this means that she needs to go to your local ER. We can induce vomiting within 2 hours time of the medication being consumed. If she consumed this last night, however, we can no longer prevent her body from absorbing the medication she's already digested. Your vet may wish to give activated charcoal to prevent any additional absorptions, but I suspect treatment will be supportive at this point given her symptoms. I do need to warn you that her symptoms may progressively worsen which may include seizure activity, blood pressure fluctuations, cardiac problems and potentially even death. If she were my companion, we'd go to the ER right now.

If you need help finding a clinic that can help you today, I need your location.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply before rating so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. My focus is to ensure that you have received a great value for the expense of using this service. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 days ago

A pleasant good afternoon to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​