Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old yorkie that I bought about 2 weeks ago…

Customer Question
I have a 4...

I have a 4 month old yorkie that I bought about 2 weeks ago and she has recently developed a loose stool. I thought maybe she was wormie since the seller gave very little information, so I dewormed her with Popantel because it usually get everything. The next day she had a little loose stool around some solid feces with some, what looked like maybe round worms. Today she is still having diarrhea with really watery stool around some softer looking stool which leads me to believe it could be cocsidia. I have Corrid and Albon on hand, I am just not sure how to mix the corrid with water and how much and how often to give the Albon. I also have a litter of 4 week old yorkie puppies I am trying to protect from getting it. What ever advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Nala

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?

I just got her on June 22 and all the people gave me was a paper from a clinic saying she had that one vaccination on that date and she was born on March 16. I gave her a Solo-jec 5 on July 6th because I wanted to make sure she really had been given a vaccine. Then after all this diarrhea started I realized she has probably never been dewormed, so I gave her the Popantel on July 9th. I first thought it was caused from the worker, but now I am not sure what is going on and what to do next.

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 days ago
jadedangel57

She is going to need a minimum of 2 vaccinations with one after 12 weeks of age. Until then she is not protected against disease. Deworming should always be done at a minimum of 2 times 2 weeks apart. Dewormers generally kill adult worms and repeating it 2 weeks later gives the dewormer a chance to kill newly hatched worms before they become adults and reinfect the dog. Eggs often lay dormant in a female dog and hatch when she becomes pregnant which is why most puppies have worms. So pups always have to be dewormed every 2 weeks starting at 2 weeks to ensure they remain worm free until they go to new homes. So you will want to deworm the pups.

I can give you a link to the dosage information for albon. See that below:

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/cats/albon.aspx

Corid is not a good choice for dogs. It is only effective against two species of coccidia and those are more common in large animals than in dogs. Albon is the better choice.

You really should take a stool sample to your vet and have them check to see which if any protozoan infection is present and see if the worms are gone. If you have an ongoing relationship with your vet, they should do this without seeing the animal. Remember that the dewormer itself often leads to loose stools for a few days until they form back up. I would get the stool sample tested to ensure you are treating for the right thing since giardia is also commonly seen in pups.

With a litter of pups you are going to need to deworm all the dogs every couple of weeks anyway but you do want to be sure a protozoan infection is present. You will need to disinfect where Nala has been but I recommend doing all the areas the dogs are in. I usually use a bleach solution of one part bleach to 25-30 parts water. It is a good overall disinfectant. Be sure fecal matter is removed promptly and do not let puddles form in the outside areas as coccidiaand giardia can be spread when rain water washes the cysts into puddles.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 3 days ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.