Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 95 lb very large Siberian Husky has a hot spot on his…

Customer Question
My 95 lb very...

My 95 lb very large Siberian Husky has a hot spot on his paw. We put a non-adhesive pad on it, secured with tape. He did fine for two days, but the third day, he tore off the pad and ate much of it. It was a Band-Aid brand triple layer non-stick pad, 3” x 4”. He also ate a small gauze pad 2” x 2”. He ate it last night and hasn’t passed it yet, but has dark diarrhea. He has no other symptoms. I did give him some salmon oil and small amount of Miralax earlier today. No other symptoms so far. Has some normal digestive noises and no bloating that I can tell.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Dog’s name is***** is 4 yrs. old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yukon?

I don’t think so.

Submitted: 9 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Oh, and he is also walking circles for a much longer time before pooping. It took him 3-4 minutes to squat and he was straining a little.
7/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 9 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! Please give me a few minutes to type a reply.

Although I can't rule out constipation, it is much more likely for him to have colitis which is an inflammation of the colon. It causes dogs to strain often with not much stool production, and sometimes small amounts of diarrhea with blood or mucous. He might have eaten something that didn't sit right, have a virus, or have a parasite. Stress is also a common cause. He's a big dog, so those small wraps should pass ok.

I'd recommend some bland diet (boiled chicken/hamburger and rice) for a few days...that's usually enough to fix mild GI upset. You can also sprinkle some Metamucil on his food...this adds fiber and helps with both diarrhea and constipation. I'd hold off on the Miralax...that may lead to more diarrhea.

If it's not improving, then definitely see your vet for stronger medicine. Take a stool sample with you.

You can also add probiotics to the bland diet to replace good bacteria. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.

Keep me updated! Please let me know if I can help in any other way!

**Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars using the stars at the top of the page; I am not compensated for my time otherwise. You can always follow up with questions after rating.**

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 8 days ago

I see that you were able to view my answer. How's Yukon Cornelius doing this morning? Can I help you in any other way?

If not, please take a moment to rate my answer.

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 5 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah