Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well he is at vet. Just second guessing care. Confused at…

Customer Question
Well he is at...

Well he is at vet. Just second guessing care. Confused at parameters and diagnosis. And if I should push for certain testing be done. Basicly I took him out for potty break this morning 9am (TX < 90 degree) and in just a few minutes he started acting lethargic. And wouldn't pee. I took him back inside. By noon we were rushing him to vet because his breathing was weird and he was not getting up. They diagnosed hum with heat stroke. He is a 6 year old rott/shepherd mix. They haven't done blood work or anything. Got his temp down and been running IVs. I feel like heat stroke should not have happened with a dog in the ac that was outaide for a little over 5 minutes. And not showing traditional signs like panting, drooling...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Ranger

Submitted: 11 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 11 days ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I have been a small animal veterinarian for 16 years.

I can understand why you would be confused....it doesn't sound like a classic heat stroke. Can you tell me what his temperature was when he got to the veterinarian? And were any tests ever done. Bloodwork?

Stacy

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
108 degrees. They cooled him down to 103 then let him settle on his own. He stayed overnight tonight. They didn't do blood work because the vet said it would be wonky with the heat stroke anyways. So it wouldn't be accurate.

Okay... 108 is almost always heat stroke. Even the worst kinds of infections and immune medicate problems that cause a fever don't usually get much above 106. So I think your veterinarian may be on the right path. I'm just not so sure how he got heat stroke in that short time period unless he was running hard or if he is a short nosed dog that can't handle the heat.

There is a condition called exercise induced hyperthermia that they can get even if it isn't hot out and they are just running around a small amount, but its almost exclusively in labradors so that is less likely.

Regardless, cooling him down and treating him with fluids is the right treatment. However, I would definitely requisition some lab work in the morning. I think it is important to see what his organ function is and if his white blood cell count is normal. I know the high temperature can make the bloodwork odd, but if something is really unexpected then it might give you an idea what triggered the heat stroke episode.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Thank you that makes me feel better that vet is on right track. I will have them do the bloodwork for sure. I have a feeling something else is going on that triggered this episode. This is a cool day compared to all the other days we have had. And i feel like the symptoms were so off. I didn't even recognize it as heat stroke!

Best Wishes

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 8 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy