Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into some cocoa powder while I was away for a few…

My dog got into...

My dog got into some cocoa powder while I was away for a few hours. Should I take her to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

She vomited some when I got home and has been drinking a lot of water. She is also eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Cocoa powder

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Maggie and 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

She’s about 50 pounds

7/11/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Do you know approximately how much was ingested? The vomiting and increased water intake are some of the first signs that are cause for concern

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
It was an 8 ounce box
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
She maybe ate 3 ounces
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Are you still there?

Unfortunately this is a potentially toxic situation with the amount ingested and her size. Please get her to the veterinary er asap to begin treatment and decontamination

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I did need to do some calculations so I apologize for the delay, I was waiting for the amount ingested to write my response

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both before signing off for the evening but I would very strongly advise a veterinary er tonight

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thank you

You are very welcome, you both are in my thoughts

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman