Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog swallowed a small piece of plastic and threw up. We…

Customer Question
My dog swallowed a...

My dog swallowed a small piece of plastic and threw up. We didn't see any blood but she is still very agitated and is convulsively licking the floor.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Athena, 6 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Athena?

She is a beagle boxer mix. She is panting heavily but not whimpering. She seems like she needs to throw up again but can't.

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 10 days ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 16 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Can you tell me.... when she vomited did she bring up the piece of plastic or food or just fluid?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
She brought up the piece of plastic

The agitation and licking the floor is something I have seen when a dog has either swelling or something stuck in it's throat or esophagus. It make them feel like they need to gag and they want to swallow it down all at the same time. Is it possible that there is still a piece in there? If there is a piece of plastic stuck you would really want to get it addressed at a veterinary clinic right away. If there is not a piece in there then it may just be that the plastic caused trauma to the esophagus on the way down... and then on the way back up. Even in that case I would still consider bringing her to a veterinarian to take some X-rays and make sure there isn't evidence that it cause a puncture or serious trauma

If you can't take her to a veterinarian tonight I would focus on trying to get her to take some things that might coat and calm the throat.... honey actually works well. If she will take about a tablespoon of that followed by small amounts of something easy to swallow. I like cottage cheese if you have it or some canned chicken. If that doesn't help then definitely take her to a veterinarian. If she is panting and swallowing air it can cause them to bloat and you want to prevent that.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
We just tried the honey. I think she is calming down. We will keep an eye an her for the night and if she is still agitated we will take her to the vet in the morning.Thanks for your help.

Good luck! You can do the honey every few hours if it helps calm her throat.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 7 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy