Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our small yorkie/Maltese mix (2 pounds) just ate a grape.

Customer Question

Hi. Our small yorkie/Maltese mix (2 pounds) just ate a grape. How worried should we be? What can we do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Yorkie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkie?
Customer: No she's generally healthy 6years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Good news, your dog should be in no danger from eating just 1 grape, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. Well, it is certainly true that grapes can be a very serious toxin to dogs under some circumstances, however, I would very much doubt if your dog is in any sort of danger from this incident. The reason I say this is that the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose was 10 to 12 grapes in a 20-pound dog. You can check this information via this link: LINK

2. Since 1 grape is way below any toxic level for your weight of dog there are no special measures you need take, the chances are your dog will be just fine. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the grape incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?