Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 year old chihuahua and for the past day or so she…

Customer Question
I have a 4...

I have a 4 year old chihuahua and for the past day or so she has looked weak not a little depressed even she doesn't seem to be eating or drinking water either

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Lluvia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lluvia?

No she is usually very active and runs up to me whenever she sees me right she just stands or sit in place and wont want to even walk outside

Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/11/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Lluvia is unwell, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question though I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have your local vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly weak, lethargic and lost her appetite makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course, other diagnoses are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case, I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep Lluvia comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lluvia's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lluvia is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott