Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a swollen ear. I do not know if it is Ear Hematoma…

She has a swollen...

She has a swollen ear. I do not know if it is Ear Hematoma or pus in her ear. I do not have money to call The verterinarian. But I'am concern about this large swollen ear.

7/5/2018
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 16 years and I'd like to help with your question, but I do have a few questions for you.

Is it the flap of the ear that is swollen? Is it painful? Is the ear red inside or is he shaking his head?

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is the flap of the ear that is swollen and it is painful but it it not red. I do not see her shaking her head that much.
DocPaul
Phone call session started

That sounds most like an ear hematoma. They are not dangerous, but can be quite painful. The best way to treat is is to have is surgically drained and place holding sutures through the entire ear, but if you can't afford that then draining it and injecting some cortisone into the hematoma can be an inexpensive option. However, if you can not afford that.... the fluid will eventually reabsorb. It just takes time and will usually produce irregular scar tissue and a crinkled look to the ear flap. The only thing you can do at home is keep her from flapping the ear around. sometimes taping it to the head can help, but be careful not to tape tightly or you can damage the tissue. Or you can put a cut sock around the head to hold the ear flap still.