Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Maddie is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. My vet has prescribed…

Maddie is TERRIFIED of...

Maddie is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. My vet has prescribed Trazodone and I have her wear a Thunder Shirt but she's still very scared. What else can I do to help her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Maddie is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. My vet has prescribed Trazodone and I have her wear a Thunder Shirt. But she's still very scared. What else can I do to help her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She is scared of THUNDERSTORMS.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Kind of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the dog behaving differently?

She is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is scared during thunderstorms.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago

My email address is *******@gmail.com

7/1/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The anxiolytic (antianxiety) trazadone is a reasonable attempt at controlling her noise phobia but I recommend the new prescription Sileo released by Zoetis. Sileo contains dexmedetomidine which is more often used as a "twilight" anesthetic but at low doses has been shown to be very effective for dogs such as she. The drug disassociates my patient; in other words, although noise is heard, it doesn't register to dogs that it's something to fear. I encourage asking your vet about this drug.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers outside of this venue...such as by private email. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I'm looking forward to hearing from the new dog veterinarian.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
My dog Maddie is SO afraid of the noise of a thunderstorm, even though I give her trazodone and she wears a Thunder Shirt, she STILL trembles and wants to sit touching me. I want to know what else I can do to make her more comfortable during a storm.
Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy, Dog Veterinarian

There are many medications to help with anxiety and they all work differently in different individuals. The dose strength also plays a big role in how well each medication works. In my experience, Trazadone is relatively weak, but a good one to try first.

I often prescribe Alprazolam. It has given my patients the best results, and it works quickly. If you are looking for stronger sedation that lasts longer, then AcePromazine is an excellent choice as long as your pet isn't prone to seizures, and as long as you give it well ahead of the scary event.

Talk to your vet about both of these medications. talk to your vet about the Trazadone dose and ask if you can increase it.

In addition, make sure you aren't accidentally validating her fears. It is our instinct to coddle them and try to comfort them, but really that is not best for them. Instead try to distract Maddie with play or get her to do any tricks she knows. Be sure she knows you are not afraid and coax her to "cowboy up" and be brave!

Dr. Sandy
Dr. Sandy, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thank youCustomer

You're very welcome! Please click on a rating so the site knows you have been helped.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I did rateat the top. I gave you 5 stars.

Thank you. Best wishes for calm, happy times!