Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog mightve been exposed to tea tree oil, He is acting…

Hello, my dog mightve...

Hello, my dog mightve been exposed to tea tree oil

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He is acting lethargic, twitchy, flinching

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?

Ataxia, weakness in rear legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Estimated 7-8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Years

6/8/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog is acting lethargic, twitching, and having general weakness and ataxia in the rear legs. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Sudden onset after my roommate was taking a bath using tea tree oil
She dropped the bottle in the bathtub and I noticed him sneezing and backing away from the bathroom
Followed by twitching and seeming startled by movement
Then ataxia, lethargy, weakness in rear legs. His color is good, cap refill wnl, no drooling, gave him hydrogen peroxide and nothing. As a result his gums feel sticky
Offered him water, he won’t drink it, acts startled by the bowl of water. Laying on his side. His vitals are normal for him
He is now starting to perk up a bit and looking around

Thank you. Symptoms of tea tree oil consist of central nervous signs such as lethargy, fatigue, and ataxia. This is what you have reported. Muscle tremors may also occur. Vomiting, coma, collapse, recumbency, dermatitis, pruritus, rash, stiffness, hypersalivation, and elevated liver enzymes may also occur. The symptoms are expected to last from 1-2 hours and up to 10-12 hours depending on the amount of exposure. It sounds like he was exposed to the smell of the tea tree oil and maybe not direct contact.

If it was only the smell then no other treatment would be necessary at this point as the symptoms are temporarily and resolve without treatment. If it was swallowed then we could perform some other treatments such as giving activated charcoal to prevent further absorption. In the meantime, you would want to monitor for improvement over the next 2-3 hours. If the symptoms, especially neurological symptoms, get worse then he should be seen by a veterinarian for some medication.

That’s what I’m assuming. He does not like the smell so keeps awy from it

Does that help to answer your question?

I think it was the vapors

It sounds like it was the vapors, so this should be self-limiting within a few hours. There is no necessary treatment at this time and monitoring is recommended.

His lack of expression is what was freaking me out but now he
Is moving his eyebrows and looking around again
Thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. It is the only way I am given credit for helping you. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Absolutely, once I’m done tending to my dog

No problem. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian