Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I’ve had a doberman/lab puppy that is 9 weeks old and 10…

Hello, I’ve had a doberman/lab...
Hello, I’ve had a doberman/lab puppy that is 9 weeks old and 10 pounds. Unvaccinated, as the breeder lied. Local animal control is trying to find him after I reported him. He had parvo when I got him, started showing symptoms two days after I picked him up. Immediately took him to pet hospital, where he was for almost 4 days, until i ran out of money and they taught me to administer subQ fluids and he has 5 medications, that have all been delivered exactly on time.
It’s been almost a whole week since he first showed symptoms, still refuses food and water so we have been syringe feeding him baby food, pedialyte, and the bland prescription food from the vet. He is bare bones, so weak and I thought we were going to lose him last night. He isn’t vomiting (except brown, once last night, and vet said to hydrate ASAP and hasn’t since). He just looks like he’s on the brink of death. We aren’t going to give up on him, but is there any chance he’ll make it? If not, is there anything we can do to make him more comfortable? I’m so heartbroken. His littermate’s family says their puppy is doing much better and I’m just losing hope. Help.
6/8/2018
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. Does he have any coughing or labored breathing?

No coughing, breathing not labored but sometimes seems a little fast.

Ok, with syringe feeding I always worry about aspiration pneumonia. What meds is he on?

Zantac, Baytril, Cisapride, Clavamox, and Cerenia

Ok, good, hes got some good antibiotic coverage. How much and how often are you giving him the subQ fluid?

The discharge paperwork said 150-200 ml every 12 hours but we gave him an extra 100 last night when he vomited brown and then hasn’t vomited since. We are trying to give him fluids more frequently, but I’m not sure how much is too much.

Thats great, is he still having diarrhea?

It comes and goes. Diarrhea today, but my parents watched him and gave him his meds while I was working yesterday and they reported no diarrhea.

Ok, thats helpful. His daily maintenance fluid needs are about 300ml, but you will want to give more to accomodate for pre existing dehydration and loss of vomit and diarrhea. Sounds like you are doing good there.

He has good antibiotic coverage and the Cerenia should help with nausea.

Parvo puppies can be prone to intussusceptions, where the intestine folds into itself. That can be one reason why some don't turn the corner.

I would honestly try stopping the Cisapride. Its a pro motility agent, and he's already having diarrhea so I'm not sure we need the gut to move more, and it may cause cramping which can be making him uncomfortable.

I would also suggest asking your vet to give him a pain medicine injection if possible. Sometimes that helps them eat.

Let me know if I can help further!

Just push those fluids!!

We will keep pushing onwards. Can you tell me how I would tell if he has the instestinal folding like you mentioned? Is there any point of no return where we should have him euthanized to avoid suffering? I just want to make the best choices I can for him.

The only way to know for sure is to have an ultrasound done. The symptoms are pain, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, so the same as parvo.

I have seen some parvo cases take this long to turn the corner. I think if he is painful and not improving euthanasia is a viable option. I also think you are doing a great job supporting him, and its reasonable to give him a few more days to turn around!

Post back with any further questions and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top. :)

Sarah Snow
He’s dead.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! You tried so hard :(