Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He drank some Diet Sunkist last night sometime and he threw…

He drank some Diet...

He drank some Diet Sunkist last night sometime and he threw up this morning and it smells like urine. He's a 30# ***** Bull mix and drank maybe 3 oz.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Timmy. He is approximately 3 yrs. old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Timmy?

No. He's a healthy, happy little guy!

6/7/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, let me know, and I can opt out to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How is he acting now?

Is he still vomiting?

How is his appetite?

Is it possible that he urinated where he vomited as well?

He seems fine now. Appetite is good. I guess he could have urinated where he vomited but I don't think that it is likely. I scooped it up with paper envelopes and it smelled like urine. It is possible that my husband may have left a small amount of Strawberry Margarita in his glass. Could that cause a urine odor if he drank that as well?

Thanks for the information. If he is acting normal otherwise now, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Either one of those items can cause an odd odor to the vomit if ingested. I have seen vomit that had a urine like odor to it before, so it is usually not that concerning. If it continues, if he was still feeling ill or if his breath constantly has a urine like odor to it, then I would be more concerned about kidney problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation (rating me now does not close your question). If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you! His breath has no odor and his gums are nice and pink. We will be much more careful about leaving anything around that he may get into. He and my other 2 Pits have never done this before!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John