Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Head and neck spasms to one side, legs twitching, lost

Head and neck spasms...

Head and neck spasms to one side, legs twitching, lost mobility in legs, gasps for air occasionally

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

His body has spasms. He can’t walk properly, his legs give way beneath him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds on his feet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Boots and he’s 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?

He’s normally healthy. Has been fussy about eating lately

6/7/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did he get into anything?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Any other symptoms?

1. 5 hours, with symptoms getting progressively worse as hours have passed.
2.He hasn’t gotten into anything he shouldn’t have.
3. Vomited a little, a little diarrhea also. But that has since passed. A few bouts of coughing/gasping for air.
4. Other symptoms present are body spasms and twitching. And now convulsing heavily

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when we see a young dog like Boots with a quick onset of difficulty walking, tremors, convulsing, etc. this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are toxicity, an infection, ingestion of a foreign body, hormonal, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. There is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend taking him to the nearest ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination, testing and pending test results the attending vet will start him on supportive care. In the meantime, give him a teaspoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup directly into his mouth in case this is related to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you, ***** ***** and expertise is very much appreciated.

You're welcome. :)

Please keep me posted.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter