Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog went to the vet today and they tested her for Parvo.

She hasn’t eaten in almost...
My dog went to the vet today and they tested her for Parvo. She hasn’t eaten in almost 3 days. She has had her vaccinations (3 Times) for Parvo. The vet looked at the test and said she did not have Parvo. She then left the room and came back and changed her mind. She had antibiotics and anti nausea medication and IV fluid. I am so worried for her life! Here is the test can you tell me what you think, and what you recommend for treatment!
6/7/2018
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm working on your question right now. It'll just be a couple minutes.

Is your dog vomiting or having diarrhea?

I'm not a huge fan of those Witness Parvo tests. I've had some false negatives and false positives. I prefer the Idexx tests as I think they're more accurate.

With that said, this is a weak positive. A weak positive could be that you're catching Parvo early, it has already cleared and they're getting over it or it could be a cross reaction to vaccines. I would first re-test to make sure it's still positive and then consider treatment.

If I have a vomiting/ diarrhea pup with a poor vaccine history, then I'll hospitalize on IV fluids and supportive care. If they are only showing mild signs, then I would probably do out-patient care with fluids, antibiotics and GI protectants. It sounds like that is the route they went, and I think that is very appropriate. I would have likely done the same.

If you do notice any vomiting/ diarrhea or weakness, then I would probably push to hospitalizing on IV fluids as if this is Parvo they can get worse before they get better. With aggressive care, we get > 90% survival with the parvo pups in the hospital.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I was sent home with IV fluids (I have done in home care in the past and live 2 hours away from the vet) they said I can only give her fluids once every 24 hours. She had vaccinations at 7-10-& 13 weeks. I did not hear anything about GI Protectants?

Usually I'll give Cerenia (anti-nausea med) in the hospital and then send home oral or injectable Cerenia to give every 24 hours. Famotidine (Pepcid) can also be used. You could pick this up over the counter and give 1/2 of a 10 mg tab every 12 hours.

The fluids can be given anywhere from 2-4 times daily depending on how much they are drinking and if there is any vomiting/ diarrhea.

Good deal, so they gave Cerenia and Convenia and sent home Cerenia.

I like to give 10 mL per lb body weight every 6-12 hours. Once a day is not really enough if they are losing a lot of fluid in the gut. I would do it at least twice daily.

Ok thank you. Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Get food and fluids into her. The best way for that gut lining to heal is to get some nutrients to it.

Do you have any suggestions how to het her to eat? I have tried chicken, rice, cottage cheese, broth, special food from the vet, and I can’t get her to eat anything. I tried forcing it into her mouth at one point and she spit it out.

We just blend up some canned food and syringe them every 2-4 hours here. Otherwise, we place a feeding tube, which you obviously can't do.

I would blend up some food and syringe every 2-4 hours. She'll vomit some and spit out some, but as long as something stays down it'll help her gut heal.

Should I give her any meloxicam for the discomfort? Also should I give her the nausea meds more than once a day?

I don't like to use NSAIDs in these guys as it can make the GI signs worse. I would use Gabapentin if needed for pain.

What would the dose be for gabapentin? Also they gave her 200ml of fluid- when should I do it again?
She weighs 12 lbs

I would do the fluids every 12 hours.

A Gabapentin dose is 10 mg/kg every 8-12 hours. I'd give your pup 50 mg every 12 hours to start

Great - thank u so much!!

You're very welcome.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
I will give you the top rating. Thank you again for all your help.

Thanks. I appreciate that!

Sorry to bother you again, but the one thing I forgot to ask was what kind of environment I should have her in here at home. Should I keep her in a crate or allow her to be in one bedroom? Should I change her bedding regularly even if she doesn’t have any accidents? Do I need to keep toys away from her?
I don’t think a crate is necessary, but a small room or bathroom that’s easy to keep clean and warm would be ideal.
Ok thanks again
You’re welcome
Hello, I have another question. My dog is doing a lot better today. She is a bit more alert and has a tiny bit more energy. She is staying hydrated and throwing up less, but still throwing up a little after each “feeding” (syringes of water and liquified food). My concern is that she has not passed anything other than tiny amounts of urine. Should I be concerned. She has eaten less than 1/2 can of food in 3 days
She has no abdominal swelling and no fever. Should I be concerned about an intestinal blockage?
It is possible that there’s an obstruction, x-rays would be needed to rule that out.I’d still lean more toward just parvo. You should see stool passed once she’s eating more regularly. Keep at the assisted feedings every few hours.