Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been experiencing some complications when

Hello!! My dog has...

Hello!! My dog has been experiencing some complications when drinking water... It started today. But she has been vomiting up her food and water right after drinking water, she has puked three time today, once in the morning, again in the afternoon, and just a moment ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of, just Grain-free Kibble and Treats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?

Tiya Mia, 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiya?

No, not really.

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep anything down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

She does seem to keep thing down when she doesn't drink water. Her gums are pink and moist. No tenderness on the belly and doesn't seem to have any discomfort when i press on her belly.
She doesn't consume anything unless I give it to her.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see Tiya Mia isn't likely to have had anything toxic or harmful. Though given her signs, she sounds quite nauseous. Therefore, our main concerns for what you have reported would be a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice or boiled potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Of course, you can choose whichever works best with her dietary requirements. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Tiya Mia's signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you for the information that you have provided for the moment, I have decided to keep an eye out for her and stopped the intake of fluids and food for now until the next morning, and will try again in the morning with a bit of water and see if she is still vomiting before requesting aid from her vet. We do not necessarily get her medicine until we seen a vet in person. But so far, your help and information made us (my mother and I) a little more calm of her situation. Thank you, ***** *****