Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got into the trash a few hours ago and she ended up…

My dog got into...

My dog got into the trash a few hours ago and she ended up eating some salad, blueberries, one chocolate chip cookie, and maybe some little pieces of plastic from the Tupperware containers the food was in and paper. She is acting fine but i'm not sure if I should take her to the vet or just keep an eye on her, or if I should feed her. She has drank water but I haven't given her any food yet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 4, she will be 5 on August 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rain?

Sometimes she gets skin allergies and she takes Benadryl when she does.

6/6/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How many hours has it been since she ate these things?

3- Was the plastic hard or soft like a wrap?

4- Can you give me an idea of the size of the plastic?

She weighs about 52 pounds
We weren't home when she got into the trash but it has been at least 2 and a half hoursThe plastic was Tupperware so like a Ziploc container would be a bit flimsy but also flexibleShe tore open multiple containers one salad was in, another blueberries were in and another which had nothing in it but there are just little pieces missing from the containers like she chewed through them and I don't think the containers are missing pieces any larger than an inch or two. I did find a couple chewed up pieces on the floor and I can't be sure if she spit all the plastic out or how much she actually ate.
sorry I meant firm but also kind of flimsy - the Tupperware.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the main concern is the plastic because it can become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. However, she is a 52 lbs dog so it is very likely that she will be able to pass it in the stool. I would not make her vomit, the plastic could have a sharp edge and damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the plastic out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check her feces; if you do not find the plastic within 48 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian.

4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, abdominal swelling, abdominal pain, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you so much for your help. It is pretty late already but she never ate dinner because we were home late, should I just wait and feed her tomorrow? She ate last around 3pm, aside from the trash she got into while we were gone!

Give several pieces of bread for tonight and follow up tomorrow with the rice and meat.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thanks again Dr. Peter, take care!

You're welcome. :)

You too! :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Hi Dr. Peter,I gave Rain the bread that night like you suggested and she has been eating rice and ground beef the past few days and now we are gradually bringing her regular food back in. She threw up the next morning (the seventh) a plastic wrapper and she went poo fine that day just a hint of green. Then yesterday (the eighth) she didn't poo or throw up and now today she went poo again with hint of green still but regular poo not runny or anything. She did throw up today a little liquid. I am unsure if it is related to what she ate but she has been acting fine, eating normally and her energy level is the same. We are still keeping an eye on her and if she does end up throwing up tomorrow then we will be taking her to her vet just incase. But other than that she does not feel bloated, no diarrhea, and like I said normal appetite and energy level.

Correct, if she continues to vomit or having difficulty defecating I would definitely have her checked by your vet even if she is acting completely normal. You see, if a piece of the plastic is obstructed in her gastrointestinal tract it may take several days before the patient becomes clinically ill. We don't want to wait until she is clinically ill because there would be more inflammation and damage to that part of the intestinal tract. So, it is best to get them early; better prognosis and way easier surgical approach if needed. Finally, I would keep her on the rice until she is no longer vomiting.

Thank you for the update, kind regards. :)

Dr. Peter