Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog came home from the kennel after 3 days being there…

HI there. My dog...

HI there. My dog came home from the kennel after 3 days being there while we were on a trip. He hardly greeted us at all (which is very unusual as he is typically a very hyper dog) and seemed totally out of it. We thought he must've really gotten his exercise over the past few days with the other dogs outside. The entire day he seemed he had a hard time swallowing his spit (he didn't drink much water) and he laid on the floor all day and night - hardly moving and needing to be coaxed to go to the bathroom. When outside, all he did all day was eat grass and throw it up. And when he finally had a bowel movement tonight, it was purely the grass he's been eating. I called the kennel and they said he was fine when he left and he even ate his food. I don't know if they gave him some kind of tranquilizer or sedative and it didn't sit well with him or they gave him too much? We have never seen our hyper dog so inactive and out of it and I'm seriously concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No that's it

6/5/2018
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

I would think the kennel would have told you if they needed to give him medication to calm him down. It is more likely he has a digestive upset that is making him feel pretty miserable.

Does he have any history of a sensitive digestion? Could the kennels have been feeding him a different food?

They didn't tell me anything about any issues he'd had. No they were given his food and they said that he had been eating and acting fine the whole time.

How is his appetite?

He hasn't eaten anything at all day or night. He usually eats all of his food right away

How often is he vomiting?

About 4 or 5 times. He swallows with difficulty and has a little cough (real raspy, no sound) and coughs up some clear fluid sporadically

How long has he been home with you now?

since 8 o'clock yesterday morning..it's 245 a.m. here now

Ok, just for a day then. Dogs can pick up all sorts of bacterial and viral infections being in kennels. By far the most common problem to come home with is kennel cough, which could well account for his current signs.

Gastro-intestinal infections are also quite common which may be from parasitic or bacterial origins.

This is not necessarily a reflection on the hygiene or quality of the kennels, it is often just the mixing of dogs from many different homes, much like when children go to school and bring home different bugs.

can he get kennel cough if he's been vaccinated?

Yes, the vaccination for kennel cough has 2 components. It gives immunity for a bacterial component due to Bordetella Bronchiseptica and a viral component due to Parainfluenza virus. However there are many other viral pathogens that can be part of the kennel cough complex, so the vaccine does not give complete immunity unfortunately.

do you think I should take him in this morning to an emergency vet or do you think it's ok to wait until they open at 9? He won't get up to drink but I've been able to give him some water from droplets on my fingers and he'll lick them. I don't know if I'm being overly concerned

If he is fighting off an upper respiratory tract infection, if they are severely affected, kennel cough can lead to a secondary pneumonia, so given how miserable he sounds, it would be wise to get him checked over by your vet.

If he is able to rest and is keeping a little water down, he should be fine to wait until morning when your vet opens.

It certainly sounds like he is not feeling great. A mild gastro-intestinal upset should be self limiting and resolve without issue over the next few days. Offering a light diet such as chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg or plain white fish can help.

If he is genuinely nauseous, then giving ranitidine (zantac) at a dose of 1mg per lb every 8 hours can help settle his stomach. I suspect he is wanting to eat grass as he is nauseous.

From the signs you are describing, I would be most concerned about kennel cough, however I cannot rule out a digestive system issue without a clinical exam.

Richard Rawling
ok. I will take him in the morning. thank you so much for your help

You are very welcome. I would appreciate an update once your vet has checked him over, as I would be keennto know how he is getting on.

Best Wishes,

Richard.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling