Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 week pittbull pup, i take him out regularly for potty…

Customer Question
11 week pittbull pup...

11 week pittbull pup, i take him out regularly for potty breaks andI am crate training. He does not show cues that he needs to potty. He will pee while just sitting there. If he's laying on the floor, couch wherever, he will simply stand up and pee then lay back down. Doesn't matter how often i take him out. He will do this outside as well. I have noticed that he's always thirsty and wants alot of water. Could this be a UTI

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Maddox

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sheree HughesIrwin,
 replied 2 months ago
Sheree HughesIrwin

Hello, Dr Sheree here to help.

Puppies do not have the ability to concentrate their urine until after 12 weeks of age. Your puppy, Maddox, just needs more time to grow up. Set a routine of potty training and use words consistently. Things will improve. They have pads that you can use that cover his area to collect the urine, like a diaper for boy dogs. That may help you until he grows up.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheree HughesIrwin,
 replied 2 months ago