Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 5 month old GSD puppy that has a few red bumps on…

Hello, we have a 5...
Hello, we have a 5 month old GSD puppy that has a few red bumps on her vaginal and belly area. She is licking down there and my wife is treating with vagisil and was wondering if this could be a recurring staff infection from a few weeks ago. The vet treated her with tresaderm and 10 days of antibiotics. They also did a fungal culture and skin scrape for mites. The culture was negative and so was the scrape. We want to treat without a traditional meds as Lucy is raw fed and don't want any more drugs in her system. I know vagisil is for yeast infection but will it work if it's the staff again or is it all the same?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

• Dr. H

I understand your pet Lucy has what appears to be a superficial skin infection or what we call puppy pyoderma. Yes staph is one of the more common bacterial infections on the skin and if she had it before it is very likely this is it again; however, this can only be confirmed with a skin culture.

Instead of the vagisil, which you are correct only treats for a fungal infection and this is not one, you can try regular Neosporin to treat this. THe bumps that you see are called pustules, and this is an encapsulated pocket of infection, which is why we typically use oral antibiotics to help penetrate this area and get it to heal. The Neosporin can dissolve some on the areas, so it may work, but if you don't see improvement with her skin within 48-72 hrs, or worsening of the condition, then its best to take her in to your vet for another round of antibiotics.

You can also give her daily pet formulated fish oils, which are a natural skin anti-inflammatory. This also helps with overall healthy haircoat and skin in dogs.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions/concerns about your pet Lucy and I will be more than happy to assist you further! Otherwise please don't forget to leave me a rating at the top of the screen before you go. Thanks!

- Dr. H

Thanks Dr H! We do jave Lucy on Deep sea Salmon oil. We give her one emptied capsule a day at her first feeding.

You are most welcome. Is that for dogs only or for people?
People fish oils are much different than the dog formulated ones. DOgs require multiple vitamin sources and often a much smaller amount that people. I would not recommend giving a pet any human version of fish oil.

- Dr. H

It is for Dogs from Happy Dog Natural company

Ok great! Yes perfect.

Try cleansing the belly also with an antiseptic like Betadine diluted 50:50 with warm water in between Neosporin applications. THis can help keep the area clean and also reduce the bacterial load.

Best of luck!

We will keep an eye on it. This appears much better than yesterday and she said she only applied the monostat once. After applying it again last night, it seems better today. Hopefully this is yeast and not fungal. Thanks again Dr H.
We will do that. The happy dog Naturals thought Lucy had mites demodex in the beginning so we were doing the whole mite avenge treatment with iodine rubs twice a day and marshmallow root mange mud. Really a fun regimen.. lol. So we will do her belly with iodine each day too

Yeast infection typically don't look like pustules on the skin in dogs. Yeast infections in dogs appear like this https://www.vin.com/veterinarypartner/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951356

Some puppies immune system will fight their own skin infection and appear to improve on their own. THis is likely the case with Lucy. Also Vagisil has an anti-inflammatory ingredient also, which is why you are seeing improvement with the redness. : )

- Dr. H

Oh great!

Just FYI. Mites are not the likely cause either unless you are seeing patches of hair loss on her back or legs. Mites are typically not concentrated on the belly.

However that rub sounds amazing! Good work.

- Dr. H

Ok good we also give her immune boost and vitamin c, so her immune system should be getting pretty strong

Well vitamin supplements are actually discouraged in young puppies b/c if you are feeding her a high quality puppy food, it likely already has all the supplements she needs. Oversupplementation is a concern here. Even too much of a good thing can have negative effects. : )

Ok the vitamin C ran out a couple days ago. That's a good point. We also give Micro Flora. I can take a pic of all the things we give her if that's ok

Probiotics are always a good idea! They are nothing like vitamins and its really hard to overdose on probiotics. : )

Sure thing. I am not a certified nutritionist, but I will do my best.

- DR. H

We treated for mites because she did have hair loss under her chin and on the top of her head and back of ears. All hair has regrown and no more skin irritations in those places. The infection was secondary according to the vet.
20180604_092204.jpg2018060...jpg20180604_092211.jpg2018060...jpg20180604_092217.jpg2018060...jpg20180604_092223.jpg2018060...jpg

Ok Got it! Yes then mites were likely the cause there for sure!

The jar is diatomacious earth. We give about a teaspoon a day decided into 3 meals sprinkled over the food

I can't speak on the holistic supplements b/c that is out of my expertise, but the probiotics and skin support supplements seem ok.

I am not sure what the apple cider vinegar is for?

Have you'll consulted with an alternative medicine veterinarian at all? This may help guide you on a lot of these supplements you have interest in. This is definitely a separate field of expertise that we as general practitioners don't really delve too much into, just to be completely honest here. : )

- Dr. H

Here is a website link for Holistic vets. Maybe there is one in your area. It seems like it would be a good investment for you'll!

https://www.ahvma.org/

Well I appreciate your help as a professional vet. The regimen we pit Lucy on was a very carefully thought out plan by the owner of Happy Dog Naturals which was recommended by ***** ***** owner and founder of DNM Academy. Dogs Naturally Magazine. Just thought I would run things by a reg vet and see if the rash or bumps were reciting possibly. I tgank you kindly and will give top ratings Dr.
I tried those links and there's nothing within 200 miles from us. Thanks

Oh no. Thats not good. Well at the very least you may be able to find a holistic medicine book on Amazon that can at least help guide you'll on what is considered helpful and what supplements are more about marketing but no true benefit to your pet!

- Dr. H

Thank you as well. Take care now.

Drhollowayvet