Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can you feed dogs with an upset stomach? She has had…

What can you feed...

What can you feed dogs with an upset stomach?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She has had diarrhea all weekend

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

I’m assuming it’s upset, she’s been kinda fussy this morning not her normal self

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

I can’t see anything that appears wrong

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

She’s been whining.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Precious, she’s. Yorkie age right at 16 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?

I think that’s it

6/4/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any blood in the feces?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

No blood, she vomited once on Friday. Nothing out of the ordinary to eat.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, in a puppy common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to see your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, stopping diarrhea with medication can make things worse if this is related to an infection, parasites or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. The rice will help make the stool firmer.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian