Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

3 mo. old was treated for parvo last week now has cough and…

3 mo. old was...

3 mo. old was treated for parvo last week now has cough and high fever been sleeping all day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Black and tan coon hound

Veterinarian's Assistant: It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the coon's name and age?

Daisey and she is 3 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisey?

She is on amoxicillin 2 times aday

6/4/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, let me know, and I can opt out to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has the cough been going on for?

Was she being syringe fed when she had parvo?

Has she had an x-ray of her chest since the cough started?

The cough has been going on since yesterday ,she was in emergency 2 days so i assume she had iv amd no x- ray all vets are closed

Thanks for the information. There are a few concerns I have with the coughing. My primary one is that she has pneumonia. It can be due to a viral or bacteria cause, but if she was syringe fed or force fed, she can easily aspirate some into her lungs. Same can be said if she was weak and vomiting. Distemper would also be a concern. An upper respiratory infection is possible, but that doesn't usually cause a fever and lethargy like you are seeing. My best advice is to have your vet get an x-ray tomorrow. If she has a pneumonia, she will most likely need to be on a stronger antibiotic than amoxicillin. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation (rating me now does not close your question). If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John