Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

10 yr old toy poodle got stung by bee on left back paw 20…

10 yr old toy...

10 yr old toy poodle got stung by bee on left back paw 20 mins ago. Seems to be in pain keeps adjusting moving around couch to floor and back.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Tux

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tux?

He wont let us touch it we think stinger is still in his paw. We placed vinegar soaked facecloth around it

6/3/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that your dog was stung! Please administer benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1 mg/ pound every 4 hours for two doses then every 6-8 hours for 24 hours. You can also use a moist washcloth in the freezer for 20 minutes on the area. Please do not repeat the vinegar as this burns and will not help but can cause Tux to want to lick more (which we want to stop to prevent infection)

Symptoms that are cause for concern and to consider the er for include pale gums, difficulty breathing, swelling into the throat area, restlessness, lethargy and reduced responsiveness.

I hope this helps guide how to get your dog comfortable swiftly but please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thanks for your help! We saw online if baking soda not available to try vinegar to counteract venom but wont do that again.

I understand, no worries we just don't want to make it burn more in a dog. A person you can say to leave it alone, a dog will want to lick :)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman