Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not sure if she's constipated or has diarrhea 55 pound

Not sure if she's constipated...
Not sure if she's constipated or has diarrhea 55 pound Staffordshire straining, whining,lethargy just miserable not much of an appetite thirsty
6/3/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond.

The way you can tell is to monitor her when she squats to go. If she is constipated, that means she has not had a bowel movement for a least a few days. The stools are usually hard, dry, or abnormal sized.

If she has diarrhea, that will be soft stool and smaller amounts. She may posture to go over and over and nothing may come out. So the first thing to do is to determine if she has diarrhea or constipation because the treatment would be totally different.

Orange and wet
Ok diarrhea, orange and wet

That is diarrhea. It is orange because it is moving through the gastrointestinal tract so quickly. I would start with fasting her for 12 hours with no food but water is okay.

You can give her pepto bismol. 2 tablets or 2 tablepsoons of pepto bismol every 8 hours can be given for the diarrhea.

After the 12 hours fast, or tomorrow morning, offer her one bite of plain cooked chicken and rice. That is a bland diet for dogs. Wait an hour to see if she is going to have diarrhea. If she does not, she can gradually have more of the plain cooked chicken and rice.

It seems as though her private is swollen as well

If she does have diarrhea, after the fast and one bite plain cooked chicken and rice, then she will need to see a vet. She may have bacterial or parasitic infection. Is she spayed? Is she dragging her hind across the ground?

she is spayed ,she did drag her hind before but know she seems very sensitive and carefully lays side hip first

Okay, her vulva may be inflamed if she rubbed her hind end on the floor. You could put some hydrocortisone on it three times a day for inflammation. Did all of that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much !!!!!!

You are very welcome. : )