Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a feeling my friends dog has ear mites. Her name is…

I have a feeling...

I have a feeling my friends dog has ear mites.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** shes maybe 2 years old?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Her name is Helen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Helen?

Not that i can think of.

6/3/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond.

Can you tell me what signs and symptoms you are seeing in the ears?

Dogs can get ears mites but bacterial or yeast infection are much more common. The ear mites prefer to live in cat ears.

her other ear looks smooth inside and shiny, like normal.
she scratches constantly and shakes her head a lot.

Thank you. For starters, ear mites would be in both ears and not just one ear. That looks like a bacterial ear infection.

Thank you. What can i do to help her?

If an offer for a phone call pops up, I can not call right now.

good, neither can I.

For the itchy feeling, you can give her over the counter human Benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. For example, a 10 pound dog would take 10 mg of Benadryl every 12 hours. The best over the counter treatment is Zymox-HC drops. Some Petco pet stores carry them. Otherwise you will have to order them online. Amazon.com has them.

It looks like the infection has been going on for a couple weeks. So, it is probably going to take a couple weeks to fix it. Ideally, she will need a course of oral antibiotics to fix it but she will need to see a vet in person to get the antibiotics. The regular vet will open again on Monday morning.

Thank you so much. I plan on taking her to see the vet I just wanted to take action quickly.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with right now?

You are very welcome. It is nice of you to help your friend out. : )

You’ve been very helpful, I really appreciate it.

My pleasure. Glad to help.

I just wish i had seen the infection sooner. Thank you.

Better late than never. You are welcome.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian