Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog apparently was bitten on the cheek by a prairie dog…

Hi my dog apparently...

Hi my dog apparently was bitten on the cheek by a prairie dog today. She then killed the prairie dog. She has had her rabies shot and is currently on antibiotics for something else. Is there anything else I should do or look for?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No, it was jus 2 small puncture wounds through the cheek, doesn't look like it went through her mouth or anything like that

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is your dog's name and age?

Ruby she is a 1 year old red heeler

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?

We just adopted her. She came to Colorado from Texas. She is on antibiotics for 3 more weeks for a tick borne infection

6/2/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Ruby was bitten by a prairie dog. There is a risk of getting and infected bite, or plague from prairie dogs but if she is on antibiotics that is less likely. Are you in Colorado, where we do see plague?

What antibiotic is she getting?

we live in Colorado

Then plague is possible, but if she is taking doxycycline for the tick borne illness, she should be covered for that.

She’s on doxycycline

She should be OK. Watch for fever, and loss of appetite. Can you take her temperature?

What symptoms should I look for with either infection or plague

Fever, and loss of appetite. If you can take her temperature, normal rectal temp is 101.5. Again, since she is on doxycycline, it is unlikely she will get plague. That is what we use to treat plague.

No way to take her temp, thank you

You are welcome; I expect she will be OK. Let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Kindly consider rating my answer, to let the website know I am answering your question. You can still get back to me with updates, and questions, after rating.

Ok

Hope she continues to do well. Please let me know.