Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has clear, dried fluid that appears to have come from…

She has clear, dried...

She has clear, dried fluid that appears to have come from her ear. She isn’t showing any signs of illness.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella 4 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

Not that I can think of.

6/2/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond.

The inside of the ear and the ear canal look fine? No redness? When did you first notice the clear drainage?

The inside appears a bit swollen to me. I noticed it this evening and it looks like it was a substantial amount.
No thank you. It has either stopped draining or has reduced to a trickle.

If the fluid is clear, with no odor, I am thinking that could be fluid from the inner ear. She may have had a tear in the tympanic membrane commonly known as the ear drum. It can happens when they shake their head or scratch at the ear. Do NOT put anything down in the ear canal because it can cross the blood brain barrier and go to the brain.

To confirm the this, a vet would have to look down into the ear with an otoscope. If there is a tear in the ear drum it should heal in about 6 weeks so do not panic. The vet may recommend an oral antibiotic or anti-inflammatory to fight or prevent infection.

Ok..got it. I may not be able to get to our vets ofice until Monday..what should I do until then?

If it is not bothering her, she can wait until morning when the regular vets open.

I would not wait until Monday.

Monday when her regular vet will opens?
Okay!!! Thank you!

You are very welcome. If you are super busy tomorrow you could take her into the ER tonight or tomorrow night. They are open 24-7 all weekend. It would just cost less if you took her to the regular vet in the morning.

There is no over the counter treatment for torn ear drum. It sounds like she may have a bit of an ear infection as well if the canal is swollen. I do not expect bloodwork or x-rays or anything like that.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby