Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My one year old cocapoo is throwing up and has severe

My one year old...

My one year old cocapoo is throwing up and has severe diarrhea. His last movement had quite a bit of blood. His nose is cold and wet and his ears are pink.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Cockapoo eat anything unusual?

He swallowed a bit of a plastic toy this am but his diarrhea has gone on and off for three days

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Cockapoo's name?

Bailey

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns and several moments to type up my thoughts and recommendations.

Ok I’ll wait

I am very sorry to hear about your fellow Bailey's vomiting, and loose stools with blood.

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. The fresher the blood appears the closer the source is to his rectum.

The important factor in all of this is how your boy feels otherwise. If he feels fairly well otherwise then that is a good sign.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if he seems very lethargic and/or is repeatedly vomiting an emergency veterinary visit is best.

Colitis or inflammation of the large intestine leading to loose stools with mucous and blood, can be due to stress, a sudden change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating things they should not, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides. Another possibility for blood in the stools is an anal gland infection. These are scent glands that are located just inside the rectum and an infection can cause a bloody discharge, although should not cause loose stools or vomiting.

A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. Do you know if he got into anything that may have started all of this? The bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days. If not he should be checked by his regular veterinarian and his anal glands should be checked. Well worth submitting at least a couple fresh stool samples too to his veterinarian to send out to the laboratory as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

Since he has vomited he may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with his bloody stools.

To try and settle his stomach today you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be used for several days if need be.

I would not feed him any food for 24 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with bloody stools. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast if he stops vomiting you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This will coat his irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, continues vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain cooked pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to his meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

Once he feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If your pup continues vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian