Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pit retriever mix she is 8 and pregnant with firts litter.

Pit retriever mix she...

Pit retriever mix she is 8 and pregnant with firts litter. not eating very lazy and big belly. about 5weeks now. vomiting yellow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

She won't eat. sometimes she will eat from hand but only a small amount

Veterinarian's Assistant: What can I say?

I just want to be aure she is ok. her teets are not full yet but growing. her belly is full and tight. she isnt pooping but pees everytime let out

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

CJ

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CJ?

She got pregnant by a teacup Chihuahua

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about CJ's pregnancy. Vomiting and not eating is not normal, so I am worried about her. She may just be vomiting due to the size of her abdomen, but usually at 5 weeks the puppies are not big enough to cause this; that usually happens in just the last week or so. At 5 weeks, the puppies would not be very big, only a couple of inches each.

Has it been confirmed she is pregnant? I ask because a dog her age is at risk for an infection of the uterus that can also enlarge her belly and make her look pregnant. If she has a pyometra (infected uterus) that could make her vomit and not eat.

If you lift her lip and check her gums, are they pink in color or do they seem pale?

Little pink. She is throwing up and it looks like poo not biel

If you are worried about her and her puppies, I would have her checked as soon as possible. I am very worried by your description of her condition.

You can try withholding food, offering only clear liquids, and seeing if some Pepcid AC (famotidine) helps with the vomiting, but it sounds like she needs to be examined by a veterinarian to see if she is pregnant and to be sure she does not have a pyometra.

A pyometra can be a life threatening infection.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating and pleae let me know how she is doing.