Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is 3 months old I think he’s constipated he will…

Customer Question
My puppy is 3...

My puppy is 3 months old I think he’s constipated he will not eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

My puppy I 3 months old I think he’s constipated he will not eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?

Fleas I think

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Also he seems nervies
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
His name is ***** *****
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

Is he straining to poop? Any signs of vomiting?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No not at all just seems nervous
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

When did he last pass a stool?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Yesterday about 200 pm
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

Im afraid I am unable to offer a phone call from the UK but I am happy to continue here.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

Has your pup been dewormed recently?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is there a home remedy I can give him
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
a month ago
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

If he was dewormed a month ago it would be worth giving him a dewormer again at this stage. Parasites can cause digestive system problems and it is generally recommended to deworm young pups monthly.

If you believe he is constipated you can give some food grade mineral oil either with his food or by mouth if he will not eat. Can you give me an idea of Lil Guy`s weight?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
He weighs2 1/2 psd that’s when I took him to the vet one month ago
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Sorry that’s 2 1/2 pounds
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

Ok, for a pup of his size I would recommend ~2ml of mineral oil twice daily. That should help with any constipation. However if his appetite does not improve over the next 48hrs or if you see any signs of vomiting, I would be keen to have your vet check him over sooner rather than later with him being so young.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Can you give my a home remedy I can give him right now I have no transportation to go to a store please
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 23 days ago

If you have no mineral oil in the house I`m afraid I cannot offer any other suggestions for what you may have in the house. I`ll opt out so another expert may be able to help you.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Richard Rawling for you. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Lil guy, please? Please note that if he hasn't been attempting to defecate without success, constipation shouldn't be a consideration and giving a laxative isn't indicated.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
About 4 o’clock in the morning he did a lot and it had a lot of worms in it,also when Dr Richard Rauling told me to give him his dewormer at 218 in the morning I did that the vet gave me a perscrition I did he does seem better but still seems a little nervous

Thank you for the additional information. Redosing was reasonable but more important to do 2 weeks after the initial dose as it takes that long for any remaining worms to become adults and be killed by the wormer. Most wormers aren't effective against larval stages of the worms. His nervousness is likely related to the cramping he's currently experiencing due to a heavy worm load. That should abate as the worms are killed and expelled. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I would like to say Thank you to me it did seem like it worked he now went right to sleep and I will do what you asked Thanks again GOD Bless Grace Yslas

You're quite welcome, Grace. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Okay Thank you I will

I appreciate it!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hello im back again with a question about lil Guy it’s 1125 pm he still hasent eaten just really wants to just stay laying down do I still give him some pumpkin?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

Pumpkin most often acts as bulk laxative. He already had a large movement (with worms) and so a laxative isn't appropriate. Has he eaten since you last posted?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
thanks again sorry to bother you

Good to hear. No worries.