Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

After 5 months of happily sleeping on his outside kennel…

Customer Question
After 5 months of...

After 5 months of happily sleeping on his outside kennel every day and nigh5 he suddenly went berserk one morning and smashed his way out breaking i5 instead o& exiting by the door as usual. Now he is too scared to even enter the kennel even when it is cold

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Bheka a 8month ridgeback

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about the dog?

He’s loving and friendly

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Is this an outside Kennel?

At what time of the day did he break out?

Has anything changed in the home? Any new people or pets?

Anything new in the neighborhood?

You say he is loving and friendly, is he like that with strangers as well or does he show any shyness?

It is an outside kennel which he has had since he was a puppy. He broke outsde about 10 am. We heard the loud noise and went outside to see his kennel all smashed up. Wewonder if it was a spider.amouse or a possum in there. Nothing new is changed at home.He loves All strangers. We have slept himinside this week. It is too old outside. I have fed hIm in the kennel but he won’t stay there any longer after gobbling down his food
How can I get him to not be frightened any more

Thank you for that information. I suspect something, noise or animal frightened him enough for him to now associate the pen with fearful events.

Getting him to stay in there again will be very challenging as to him it feels like a trap.

You might be able to desensitize him over time by continuing to put him in there for brief periods of time and letting him out when he is calm. I would also make it a more interesting and pleasant place to be by putting some new dog toys/ puzzles/ treats for him to find each time he goes in there.

You can also try giving him some over the counter melatonin and you can try a calming collar on him.

Because you do not know what happened to him in there, it's going to be some time to help him through it.

It may help to rearrange the pen as well, try to make it look different, maybe some tarp on the side so he can't see out as it may make him feel more secure. Indoor outdoor carpet along the side might help as well.

Here is a link for the calming collar.

https://www.chewy.com/adaptil-calming-adjustable-dog/dp/116766?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Adaptil&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw3cPYBRB7EiwAsrc-uZ032SZQ5UVVEuJF9jgqYqnMMtzJ_57x3NYUUybKZ5xvQhnNmeTm5hoCVL8QAvD_BwE

melatonin dosing

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx