Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She can’t lift up her tail. I thought she was constipated…

Customer Question
She can’t lift up...

She can’t lift up her tail. I thought she was constipated but I finally touched a spot on her tail & she couldn’t stop shaking and crying.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

She’s a golden retriever. I think it’s a snake bite. There isn’t a vet open near me. Her name is***** is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

No. Just regular allergies

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 19 days ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If snake bite is a possibility then she should be seen as soon as possible. However there are other causes for a dog to display the symptoms you describe.

It may be that she injured her tail, so you will want to check her tail over well. She could also have a problem with her anal glands which will cause a dog to hold their tail down as well. The anal glands are usually not much of a problem in larger dogs but they can make the whole general area quite sore. Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

There is a condition "cold tail" that Labradors, English Pointers, English Setters, Foxhounds and Beagles sometimes get which causes them to hold their tail close to the body. It often happens when a dog has been bathed, in the snow or rain or swimming. It can also happen when dogs mate as well. You can read about it here.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/coldwatertail.php

It is possible that this is what you are seeing with your dog. With cold tail it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for the tail to recover. Some owners feel the administration of anti-inflammatory medication aid in a faster recovery.

Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement.

I wished there was more I could suggest to make her discomfort less but she really needs to be seen to determine the cause first.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!